Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchiCAD 10 in Windows XP Mode (Windows 7 Pro)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everybody.

I managed to install my ArchiCAD 10 in the "XPM" environment on my Win7 Pro 64bit PC. The trouble is, that when I start ArchiCAD, I get the message that

"It's not possible to run ArchiCAD in a terminal service client"

As from our official swiss reseller's technical support, I have been told that it IS possible to install it in XPM, even though it is NOT supported officially by Graphisoft.
At the same time, I read on this site

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Windows%207#ArchiCAD_10_on_Windows_7

that it is working seamlessly.

Where did I fail?
Thanks in advance!
F.
23 REPLIES 23
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
XP mode of Windows 7 is basically a Virtual machine running XP operating system under the Windows 7 machine. Because it is a virtual machine, the peripherals of your computer (like the USB ports) are either assigned to Win7 or XP. My guess is that the USB port where your key is is assigned to Win7, and that is why ArchiCAD thinks you are running it as a terminal client.

The good news is: you don't need to deal with all this. Forget about the XP mode. Install ArchiCAD on Win 7 as a native application.

Greg
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Greg...
gkmethy wrote:
XP mode of Windows 7 is basically a Virtual machine running XP operating system under the Windows 7 machine. Because it is a virtual machine, the peripherals of your computer (like the USB ports) are either assigned to Win7 or XP. My guess is that the USB port where your key is is assigned to Win7, and that is why ArchiCAD thinks you are running it as a terminal client.
I noticed that there's the possibilitiy to switch or activate the USB devices when I run the VM, but nothing happened other than having XP detecting the key and installing the drivers.
As I'm quite new to ArchiCAD, I don't know how the WIBU-Key has to be correctly set up and managed: what software would I have to install? I simply installed the ones that sounded me the best ones (WibuKey Runtime-Kit)...
The good news is: you don't need to deal with all this. Forget about the XP mode. Install ArchiCAD on Win 7 as a native application.

Greg
So you are telling me I can install ArchiCAD 10 on Win7 and run it without any troubles? Could you please tell me step-by-step how to do this?

Thanks so far,
F.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Here is a link to AC10 on Win7. Should install fine.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Here is a link to AC10 on Win7. Should install fine.

Hello and thanks for your suggestion.
The above link is *exactly* the one I found, and on behalf of which I decided to install "Windows XP Mode" and in that environment my ArchiCAD 10.

The statement "ArchiCAD 10 installs fine on Windows 7" is quite correct, but nothing is being testified about *using* and *running* ArchiCAD 10!!!

Please, has anybody direct personal experience with this issue? I'd like to know the steps to be taken in order to get it running.

Many thanks and kind regards,
F.
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Flavio,

We did not thoroughly test AC 10 on Win 7, but we do use it occasionally, and it seems to run fine. I would stay away from Win7's XP mode, as that will probably severely affect the performance of ArchiCAD. I would not recommend running any CAD software in a virtual environment. It is doable, but probably you get much slower speeds than running it in Win7 native mode. "XP mode" is really a "Plan B" for applications that refuse to run under Win7 natively.
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Anonymous
Not applicable
gkmethy wrote:
Flavio,

We did not thoroughly test AC 10 on Win 7, but we do use it occasionally, and it seems to run fine. I would stay away from Win7's XP mode, as that will probably severely affect the performance of ArchiCAD. I would not recommend running any CAD software in a virtual environment. It is doable, but probably you get much slower speeds than running it in Win7 native mode. "XP mode" is really a "Plan B" for applications that refuse to run under Win7 natively.
Hy Greg,
thanks for taking time to explain more in depth the situation.

Could you now, please, give me a step-by-step instruction for how to install AutoCAD 10 on Win7 physical PC?

That would be great!
Thanks,
F.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I solved by running the installer EXE in "Vista SP2" compatibility mode. Now running ArchiCAD 10 is OK!
Anonymous
Not applicable
gkmethy wrote:
Install ArchiCAD on Win 7 as a native application.
It was a huge disappointment after purchasing a new laptop that, unfortunately, AC10 does not install... The last message I get from the installation process is the one about removing the key. Then nothing happens, except that Win7 return automatically to the predefined color scheme.
My config: i3 / Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
jimpap wrote:
It was a huge disappointment after purchasing a new laptop that, unfortunately, AC10 does not install... The last message I get from the installation process is the one about removing the key. Then nothing happens, except that Win7 return automatically to the predefined color scheme.
My config: i3 / Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you
How do you expect a software that was released 4 years ago to run perfectly on an operating system released 3 years later? Win7 did not exist when AC10 came out so how could the software be written in a way to run perfectly.

You can try one thing:
uninstall Java in Win7, install the Java that comes with the AC10 installation CD. That solved problems before.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27