Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Stone Mullions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone point me in the right direction to creating stone mullions to windows?

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can't understand what do you want to achieve. Could you post some illustration?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ty,

I played around with stone windows using only slabs. I would create each stone mullion as a slab (rather taller than wide). group these. Then make another set that I would then create as a library part in order to rotate them horizontally. Then you can create yet another library part with the horizontal and vertical mullions together, and you are just about done. The glass and metal casement windows are more slabs along the same techniques.

If the attached image is what your are looking for and you need more direction, first look at the Help files under "Doors and Windows", the part labeled "Saving Custom Shape Doors and Windows from the Project File" , then let me know if you are still having issues.

Snap
PS From Lutyen's Marshcourt garden facade. I tried to create a stone texture that resembles the Cort used in this house.
Marshcourt-Stone Mullions.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
You could also use profiled beams and walls (for any curved bits) and then save from the 3D view as a window part.
Anonymous
Not applicable
As Matthew says, use the profile tool. Much better than slabs and more flexible. I did those some while ago.

Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can eve do the lead cames that way and glazing with meshes (for irregularities) if you want to get really detailed. One great part with the walls and beams is they intersect automatically.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Meshes? When I'm feeling unusually nostalgic I create another super thin element (slab, whatever) in front of the glass and give it the material "water", you'll get super reflections. OR just use the Lightworks displacement shader with the water material, regarless of the whatever glass you are using. Artlantis does this with some thing called UV if I recall correctly. I've never used Artlantis, so I make do.

This method also works for getting that old wavy look on wood strip flooring. Only worth the effort if you have close up shots. Here's an example of the floor concept. Since I made this image I have created my on custom "wave" shader that has less horizontal randomness and looks more regular like the actual cuppping of an old floor.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just kidding about the meshes. Nice texture mapping.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I just figured out that you could do those Stone Mullions out of a Curtain Wall.
You would have to create the various section profiles and save them as Custom Components, as Custom Curtain Wall Frames. Then you would just create a Curtain Wall and assign the various profiles to the various Frames of the Curtain Wall.
Should work.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erika Epstein
Booster
Great solution Laszlo!
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18