Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Can you convert Revit 3D symbols to ArchiCad?

GFBArchitect
Participant
Kolbe Kolbe window company provides all their window shapes in Revit 3D and Sketchup formats. Could I translate these into ArchiCad 3D symbols? If so, how? Thanks,

Gayle Berkey, Architect
Littleton, CO
Gayle Berkey, Architect

Littleton, CO

AC-20 USA, ACPI x64 PC, Win10 Pro, i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz 32Gb ram
10 REPLIES 10
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In AC12, you could use the SketchUp import Add-On downloadable from here:

http://www.graphisoft.com/products/archicad/addons/sketchup/su_plugin_download.html

I don't know how good the imported objects are, never tried it myself, did not need it yet.

In AC13 the SketchUp Add-On is no more, there is only a Google Earth import Add-On. But you can run AC12 with the AC13 dongle.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
If Revit is BIM and AC is BIM, it seems like someone should be able to come up with a conversion to keep the parametrics and/or the 'I' part of the BIM intact in the conversion.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
That is what IFC is supposed to be all about.
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy, I agree.

But the problem is that it forces us to BUY Revit in order to save their part as IFC to then open it in AC. The purpose of a translator would be to avoid purchasing both. Another problem is that their is no IFC program, only IFC file formats -- meaning, I cannot create something in IFC format, I can only create it in a non-IFC program, then do a "Save As."

It is a shame that there is no "industry standard" for the creation of parametric objects. Companies don't care what program we use, they just want their product used. But they are not going to make an AC version, a SketchUp version, a Revit version, etc. for every product in their inventory. Currently that 'industry standard' (by default) is SketchUp -- because it is easy. We need to convince companies that it is in their best interest to create "intelligent" objects in some kind of "industry standard" that all BIM products can read. If that language becomes GDL, Fine! But if the standard becomes Revit, we just need the company that we have spent thousands of dollars investing in to adapt! I don't that is too much to ask.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is an example: Haws has done their entire product library of every drinking fountain, sanitization station, and emergency equipment in Revit and SketchUp -- but not a single product done in GDL format!! If our software is getting shut out, it must adapt!
http://www.caddetails.com/protoolbar/default.asp?itm=cad&cid=197&pid=197-028&hid=&recnum=&email=rebe...
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The Google Earth Add-On that is available for AC13, when installed, can import KMZ (Google Earth) or SKP (SketchUp) files and place them in Projects as GDL objects. These will not be parametric, though.
Unfortunately, Mac version is not available.

But I understand what you are saying: it would be great to be able to use all those objects in all programs and have them retain their parameters.
Anonymous
Not applicable
What have been anyone's experiences in using the IFC file format in making multiple round trips between ArchiCad and Revit?
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Brent wrote:
What have been anyone's experiences in using the IFC file format in making multiple round trips between ArchiCad and Revit?
I roundtripped composite structures through IFC a year ago (AC12 and RS2009) and it was just working (it was pretty cool). The purpose was to see if an architect could use a "template model containing all pre-defined composites" for the architectural work and it was 100% as far as I tested (a typical villa).
The good thing about Graphisoft is that they actually can trim communication issues that may arise almost on the fly. Use your reseller if you encounter problems or have general question regarding IFC. The reseller channels directly to GSHQ.

From my Swedish point of view:
IMHO for the normal case roundtripping between Arch and Struct is not that relevant. Linking is the way to go since the models are so different in content, context and tempo.
The Graphisoft+Tekla cooperation have excellent means of collaborating process-wise and technically. ArchiCAD (that hosts both arch and struct if you want) can optimise the model before the export to Structural (very useful for both Tekla and Adesk). The ability of "Core only" plus filtering out only relevant ("archistructural") elements from ArchiCAD to struct gives a much better model for struct to use. Tekla then has a smart tool to easily compare IFC-model revisions (what's new, what's gone, what's changed etc.). I'm working on the process right now and will create example movies (swedish or english) for the nordic market. We have the greatest support from Tekla and they are a joy to work with!
/Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Mats.

Have you or anyone else out there had experience with round trips with architects using the architectural REVIT package in which they add or modify elements in REVIT and send the file back to you in IFC 2x3 format?