Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Input file is incorrect or memory full!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
What the h....!
I have been working on a module file in one day, and it looks like modules files don't create bkp files!!!
So now my file looks like corrupted, impossible to open, and no backup!
the msg I get is "Input file is incorrect or memory full!!"
I can't believe it is true, this is really bad!!
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sadly, Unfortunately, you are correct, no backup of mods...

The intent in AC is to always work in pln files.
If you want to edit the mod, "save as" pln file again to work on it, when you are done editing, "save as" into mod file again, that way AC backs you up as you go.

Personally I am paranoid about data safety. I create separate pln files all the time, like "MyProject-02-15-2010-2pm.pln" This has two virtues, 1) double back ups (I did say I was paranoid), and 2) a history of the project. In data management they call this the Father, Grandfather rule. If you lose the father you can always go back to the grandfather. Additionally, if you experiment in AC with design, you can use the old files to get back to a point in time where maybe the roof or elevation was different. These backups I make do not update. Imagine if you have someone come in and alter the design in a most unfortunate way such as stretching with the heavy marquee and altering another floor and never noticing until too late. (In my case that would be me in deadline panic mode.)

When I get to permit stage, I save an archive file *.pla, then copy the entire project folder to CD disk, and erase all the unused versions of the project.

Snap
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The BIM Server has a possible use in data management some might not think of.
Just share your Project file on the BIM Server, then Reserve All so you are the only User.
The BIM Server will take care of all backuping at the intervals you specified and will keep as many old copies as you specified.
You can even roll back to any of the backups.

Since the BIM Server can be run on your local machine and it is so easy to install and run, I truly believe this is a viable option.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
That is a neat way to handle backups.
Thanks.
Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
Has anyone discovered a way to recover a PLN with this error? I've tried to merge but had the same error.
HEEELLLLPPPP!

AC 16 4010 Win 10 pro AMD 6300 6 core 3.50GHz Radeon RX 470
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Seems to be that this is an error that occurred in earlier versions (such as AC16 you are using) but does not happen in the recent versions as the latest report I found was from 2013. Here are two threads that offer solutions. Try these and see if they help:

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=973

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=29871#p157844
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27