BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Story sensitive object with smooth option

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello!
I am using Archicad 13 for a couple of months and i have recently discovered its potential to work with imported models from other softwares like Rhino or Cinema 4D. I am trying to find a workflow where i can create models in Rhino (and Grasshopper eventually) as complex envelopes/shapes for the exterior of the building and then refine and document the rest of the project within Archicad.
I believe this workflow has`nt been that easy before implementing the Cinema 4D Exchange plugin because of the storysensitive planview issue.
Now i just found out that a 3DS model imported in Archicad when sent to C4D and then back , will become storysensitive wich is great.
The problem is that it looses the "force smooth" property wich the 3DS import has.
My question is what is the workaround to add the smoothness property of the storysensitive object imported from C4D? I mean i would like the uncut surfaces to be seen without those edges of polygons, except for the countours. Just like the 3DS imported object but with cutplane sensitiity.

It has something to do with the 3D script pehaps? Or also in 2D script?

I am not proficient in gdl but i could manage to insert or change some lines.
Thank you !
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, now i can see too, the C4D exchange produces triangulation but it has the right cutplane sensitivity script built in with all the aditional options.
I have noticed that the models exported in C4D are kind of exploded polygons. I mean their faces/polygons are not welded. They just stay together to form the model. I am almost sure that this is related to do faceted problem. And i have found that for normal models, changing the Phong angle it adjustes the faceted vs smooth appearence. But for the AC imported models nothing happends because the models are exploded. The C4D plugin interpretes the model as a multitudine of separated polygons and edges, but not as a welded whole.
It seems the plugin just can`t deal with smooth surfaces.
The solution to my initial problem could be a kind of plugin or script to automatically change the "1" values of the EDGE PGON and BODY into "2" wich i don`t think would be hard for somebody who knows programming/scripting. Or another solution is to implement the cutplane sensitivity into the 3ds import plugin. I succeded to do so but i don`t know how to insert the cut line and cut hatch parameters
Stig Bengtsson
Participant
I have created a series of complex facade panels by tilting slabs and saving as objects. They span through several stories so I have added story sensitivity from the examples in this thread:

2D script:
dummyvar = GLOB_CSTORY_ELEV
project2 3,270,2

3d script top:
if GLOB_CONTEXT = 2 then
add 0,0,GLOB_CUTPLANES_INFO[1] + GLOB_CSTORY_ELEV - GLOB_HSTORY_ELEV
cutplane
del 1
endif

3d script bottom:
IF GLOB_CONTEXT=2 THEN
CUTEND
ENDIF
END

It works like a charm when the object visibility is set to "All stories" - "All relevant stories" doesn't work. For each story the object is displayed with cut lines at the floor cut plane height. How do I control the pen for the cut line?

Stig
Architect AIA RIBA SAR/MSA, Graphisoft Registered Consultant
AC19 SWE 7006
AC20 SWE 4012
Frank Beister
Advisor
Try this one at the beginning of your script:

SECT_ATTRS fill_type, background_pen, fillcolor_index, contour_pen [, line_type]

The command

SECT_FILL fill_type, background_pen, fillcolor_index, contour_pen

take effect only if cut in a s/e window.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Anonymous
Not applicable
I didn`t check yet, but did they fixed the smoothing problem when using C4D exchange plugin?
Stig Bengtsson
Participant
F. wrote:
Try this one at the beginning of your script:

SECT_ATTRS fill_type, background_pen, fillcolor_index, contour_pen [, line_type]
Thanks Frank, I hope you are still watching this thread. I assume I need to use Project2 (3) with SECT_ATTRS, but I don't understand how, I have only used Project2 so far. Could you give me an example or some more direction.

Stig
Architect AIA RIBA SAR/MSA, Graphisoft Registered Consultant
AC19 SWE 7006
AC20 SWE 4012
Frank Beister
Advisor
Hello Stig,

Sect_Attrs extends the sect_fill comand, which replaces the object settings for (cut)-filling and pens. Before the command is used in the script the global settings SYMB_FILL, SYMB_SECT_PEN etc. take effect. The Sect_Attrs command allows now customized line types too.

Normally these changes do only take effect in the s/e-window, but if you use project2{3} the settings work in floor plan too.

I described it on selfgdl, but you will not understand with a google-translation. I wrote a demonstration object for selfGDL. I could have a look for it and send it to you.

Frank
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Frank Beister
Advisor
Nove to http://www.selfgdl.de. If the webcontrol works in your environment you can test the object there. Otherwise you can download the object to test in ArchiCAD directly.

The object allows all possible combinations of PROJECT2{} and SECT_FILL/ SECT_ATTRS.

The object is only part of the German site.

Did you somehow manage to make the object appear only on the all relevant stories?

Learn and get certified!