BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Change manager

KeesW
Advocate
I'd love to see a change manager, working with Navigator in Archicad. Revit already has something like this. The idea is that different versions of the projects, or different service stages (eg Exisiting plans, Schematic design, developed design, contract documentation, etc) are stored and kept together where they can be accessed later. At the moment, it is not practical to manage these within the same model because it involves too many layers and combinations.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
15 REPLIES 15
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
If the Search Engine was working at the moment, you could search for teamwork options. Teamwork is the best answer at the moment, it was discussed just recently.

There is also a tool called Otptions Manager in the US, but it doesn't do the job nearly as well as Teamwork IMHO.

Cheers,
Link.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
<bump>

This is essential. We just finished a renovation of a high school with 7 different phases -- 'new' elements in one phase had to be represented as 'existing' (or 'non-existent') in others. It was a fast-track project -- construction was concurrent with construction documents -- once one phase was issued, the next one began without pause.

We did this with 4 different AC models and a lot of nested hotlinks. We managed to pull it off, but model management was a nightmare. An Options/Phase manager would be very helpful when dealing with:

- Existing/Demolition/New construction
- Multiple design solutions
- Projects with multiple phases, as my example above.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Erika Epstein
Booster
Wow, Laura, sounds like a very interesting case study. Care to write it up?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
I didn't work on the project -- just made suggestions as far as how to organize the model/files for the desired result. The ideal person to write it up was just laid off (so I may just have to document the model/file structure for future reference!).
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Erika Epstein
Booster
It would be interested to read your "document the model/file structure for future reference" if you don't mind sharing when you have done this.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have read somewhere that Revit handles phasing much better than ArchiCAD. Have others hear that? I think we too struggle with the model management nightmare that Laura mentions...
KeesW
Advocate
Handling stages and options is a standard Revit feature and I wish ArchiCad had it. Some of our users say that you can do it with Teamwork but I'd like to hear an outline of how this would work.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Anonymous
Not applicable
It occurred to me the other day that the lack of a flexible way of trying out different designs and permutations was one of the main problems I have trying to 'sell' the concept of ArchiCAD to more experienced 2d CAD based colleagues.

In 2d CAD I/we often create several versions of the same elevation just to try out various arrangements of windows or roofs. This can be done quickly and simply by just copying the lines and moving then to one side, making the changes, then visually judging them against each other. In ArchiCAD there are various techniques like moving duplicates of the geometry to one side, setting up special layers, saving stuff to modules, but none of them are quick and simple and give you the ability to immediately assess that particular design in the context of the rest of the 3d model. Of course you can set an individual elev as a 'drawing' and make some 2d edits, but you will have lost the ability to design in 3 dimensions - one of the key advantages of software like ArchiCAD.

This lack of flexibility basically means that you have to have a more developed idea of the final design before you start trying to model it. Also, useful things like keeping the simplified planning model in the same file as construction model become very awkward.

A secondary layer-based system (mentioned in the middle of this thread) seems to me to be the ideal solution. The layers that control the visibility of geometry should be separate to the layers that control the design options. This would allow versions of the geometry to exist in the same place and stay on their various geometry layers, but be easily switched with another design.

This feature is essential in my opinion, and if implemented correctly it could really speed up the whole design process.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
A secondary layer-based system (...) This would allow versions of the geometry to exist in the same place and stay on their various geometry layers, but be easily switched with another design.
Curiously I was thinking about this the other day and came up with an idea:
Why not having the ability to assign an element to more than one layer?...
So we could just create a layer "Version 1" and assign all the element related with it... but keeping their logical element/layer definition.
Does this make sense?
Learn and get certified!