Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Sketch render to take 3 hours to complete ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I have a 3D model, which compromises of 6 library trees, set to low resolution plus a small building on a mesh as the terrain. I want to use the sketch render to make a creative image of the design, but for some reason it is taking a very, very long time. Light works take 3 minutes and I know that sketch is more work, but 3 hours is ridiculous !

Are there any tips or tricks that can speed up the process ?

Thank You
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
That sound really out of whack. Perhaps the line work in the trees is over complicated even in the low polygon setting. Are you using materials with vector fills? That might do it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Vector Fills? Are they in the tree model ? I'm using basic tools such as wall, slab etc. it seems to be the trees that slow it down meaning that if there is just the building model and mesh, it will be done in less than a minute. 3D documents are also estimating 2 hours !
Anonymous
Not applicable
The vector fills are assigned in the material settings. If you use a material with a fill attached it will render the lines in 3D. You can also turn this off globally in the 3D Window Settings.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm, I've looked at all of those settings, the fill is either background, foreground, air space... anything but vectorial fill. The view mode is wireframe, to me it looks like I've got everything down to it's ' simplest ' setting but the trees are still causing the problem...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew is referring to the fill assigned to the materials used, possibly in the trees. Check their material settings.

Trees definitely slow things down, just due to large polygon numbers
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to ensure I'm reading from the same page, these settings are found in the settings dialog right
materials.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
No, the general material setting - where you can create and edit existing materials. (Option>Element Attributes>Materials) Find the material used for the trees and check what hatching is used.

Personally, I'd check to see if it wasn't the 'person' model causing the slowdown. I seem to remember he has around 7000 polygons just on his own!
Anonymous
Not applicable
It was definitely the person model that was causing the problem. I've decided I don't need to show him anyway

Thank you all for your help, my knowledge of ArchiCAD is growing by the day ! I love it !