Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Wish for mass line conversion into Mesh Tool

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been unable to find a better way of adding Topo lines into a mesh than to magic wand them. This is time consuming and seems to be a single core operation.

I would like a tool or operation where I can select all the topo lines that I want to insert into a mesh and have the tool do it all in one step. If this could be a multi threaded tool it would save so much time over magic wanding every single topo line for the 3-D model.
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Boy you must do this a lot.

Even better (as long as we're asking for a few feature) would be the ability to associate the splines (or polylines) to the mesh so you could edit them to directly update the mesh.
Anonymous
Not applicable
We are dooing dozens of projects a year. Most of them are focused arroung the exhibits for the animals. When you are trying to create a gridwork of meshes to cover an 1800 acre facility it just takes to long.

I think in my case the conversion process from the CAD topo to the mesh is also hindered by the fact that the topo is all single lines and not polylines. This increases the ammount of data that the computer has to crunch. I would love to be able to select all the topo lines for a given grid and start the computer cooking right before a weekend so that on monday i could insert the elevation component to the lines (this part goes fast) and be done.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
chriszolezzi wrote:
I have been unable to find a better way of adding Topo lines into a mesh than to magic wand them. This is time consuming and seems to be a single core operation. I would like a tool or operation where I can select all the topo lines that I want to insert into a mesh and have the tool do it all in one step.
This wish (and Matthew's addition) could be readily solved through the API. The question is, could the development cost be recovered?
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
chriszolezzi wrote:
I have been unable to find a better way of adding Topo lines into a mesh than to magic wand them. This is time consuming and seems to be a single core operation. I would like a tool or operation where I can select all the topo lines that I want to insert into a mesh and have the tool do it all in one step.
This wish (and Matthew's addition) could be readily solved through the API. The question is, could the development cost be recovered?
Part of this question is whether there is room for two terrain add-ons in the ArchiCAD aftermarket. The other part is how much development cost? If it's not too much to create and support perhaps a low price would lead to a wide uptake. This would seem appropriate for something that is more af a tool enhancement than a full featured add-on.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Matthew wrote:
Part of this question is whether there is room for two terrain add-ons in the ArchiCAD aftermarket. The other part is how much development cost? If it's not too much to create and support perhaps a low price would lead to a wide uptake. This would seem appropriate for something that is more af a tool enhancement than a full featured add-on.
I was simply making the observation that the API is well suited to solving this problem - whether in an existing or new add-on is further ahead than I had contemplated. The difficulty is that the market for any API development is very small - in part due to the relatively small number of users, but greatly increased because only a small proportion of them will ever be aware that add-ons exist. If there was an active add-on market - like the iPhone App Store - I think it would be far easier to solve problems like this without looking to Graphisoft for everything.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was not looking for an add on and I know that there are some out there. All I would like to be able to do is maggic wand multiple lines at one time with the mesh tool. Or other tools. There might be other comands in archicad that would benefit from improved maggic wand selection.
Anonymous
Not applicable
chriszolezzi wrote:
All I would like to be able to do is maggic wand multiple lines at one time with the mesh tool
Interesting idea. In the meantime you could connect the splines/polylines into a single one and magic wand them in one go. Not really a time saver though.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Need a new tool (set tools)! To begin with, at least a functional level of the deceased program "ArchiSite (ProSite)".
Enough to use crutches, called "3D-Mesh".
Anonymous
Not applicable
chriszolezzi wrote:
All I would like to be able to do is maggic wand multiple lines at one time with the mesh tool.
Something similar to "Create stair from selection" ?