Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Curves in Profiler Are not in Section

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys.
I have a curve in a complex profile that I made.
When I See this curve in a section it is not curved anymore, it has turned into poly lines.

If I go check the complex profile in the profile editor it is still curved.
IS there a resolution i need to be changing somewhere?
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Jess,

You are correct, curves in complex profiles have some sort of built-in function to reduce the polygon count. It looks like it behaves in a similar way to the RADIUS function in GDL, just not adjustable.

On plan, ArchiCAD can hide the fact that all curves are actually segments because it is a symbolic view, and so the lines representing the wall are redrawn to a level where the segments are not noticeable every time you zoom in or out. In section it is a true representation of what is actually happening in the model and so you see the truth!

GS would need to enable some sort of symbolic display in section for curves to overcome this, but I don't see this happening soon!

If the segmentation on profiles in details is very noticeable then redraw it again using just 2d lines (or copy and paste the lines/fills directly from the profile manager into the detail.)

This probably doesn't really help you, but at least you're not the only one to notice this limitation!
Anonymous
Not applicable
*sigh*

So I guess, we could in the profiler draw the curves with a whole bunch of little straight segments until we get enough lines, small enough, to look curved.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Jesikuh123 wrote:
I have a curve in a complex profile that I made.
When I See this curve in a section it is not curved anymore, it has turned into poly lines. If I go check the complex profile in the profile editor it is still curved. IS there a resolution i need to be changing somewhere?
If you make a profiled object with OBJECTiVE, you have a parameter to control the resolution of facetting for curves (refer to the attached image). The specified value is the maximum deviation from a true curve for any given face. If you set the value very low, it will almost indistinguishable from a curve but at the cost of a higher polygon count in the model.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
I HAVE REPOSTED THIS ISSUE, HAS THIS NOT BEEN RESOLVED SONCE MY LAST POST IN JULY OF '09?
Eduardo Rolon
Jess,

You DO know that typing in ALL CAPS implies that you are shouting?
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
I do know that. I wasn't shouting though, just had them on from noting a drawing.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The first image here is in the 3D window, the second is what I WANT it to look like, this is in the complex profiler window, and the third is in section.[/img]
Anonymous
Not applicable
J,
Can't see your latest images.
Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
Try my images again here.
ComplexProfilerScreenCapture.jpg