Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Display Order - at the top and bottom?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've got some lines that are being draw under zone text in my drawing, however when I try to move the lines to the front it says they're already at the top of the stack, and when I attempt to move the zone back it says the zone is already at the bottom. That being said ,the display order is still wrong, and I'm not sure how to resolve this.

Does anyone have a workaround for this bug?
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable
go into the zone settings and change the background pen to whatever.
Erika Epstein
Booster
there are something like 8 or 16 stacking levels. You can 'bring forward' or 'send back' one step at a time until you get the desired effect.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
there are something like 8 or 16 stacking levels. You can 'bring forward' or 'send back' one step at a time until you get the desired effect.
However I'm not getting the behaviour I would expect. I've moved the zone as far back as it will allow, and the object I want on top of it as far forward as I can, yet the one in back shows up on top. Any ideas what else might be causing this?
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Cleverbeans wrote:
However I'm not getting the behaviour I would expect. I've moved the zone as far back as it will allow, and the object I want on top of it as far forward as I can, yet the one in back shows up on top. Any ideas what else might be causing this?
It would be helpful to know what "object" (or more appropriately, what "element") it is that you want on top. Also, a screen shot would help.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura wrote:
Cleverbeans wrote:
It would be helpful to know what "object" (or more appropriately, what "element") it is that you want on top. Also, a screen shot would help.
I'm having problems with various elements in particular custom GDL objects, text, lines, and polylines which are being displayed under Zone text. I'm not sure what value a screenshot would have since display order is pretty obvious. Note that if I choose "move to back" or "move backward" on the zone it tells me that it's already at the bottom of the stack, and if I tell the other elements to "move to front" or "move forward" I get the "already at the top of the stack" message. I assume this has something to do with zone text but I have no idea how to resolve it.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
A screenshot would help us to determine if it is a bug or user error. Zone Stamps default to a display order value of 5, while Zone Backgrounds default to a value of 9 (1 being the top of the stack, and 14 being the bottom). So if you're trying to get an element above the Zone Stamp, but below the Zone Background, I don't think it's possible. With the information that you've provided, that you can't get any element to display above the Zone Stamp, the only response I can give is that that is abnormal behavior, and I cannot recommend a work around.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, I'm not trying to do anything fancy as all I really need is a background/foreground style setup. The strange part is that everything was working fine last week, and no changes were made to the display orders in the interm but we caught the error on a set of prints. I guess I'm in a bit of a pickle.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Update: I tried moving the display orders around again, this time I moved the zones to the front and the objects to the back just in case they were reversed somehow but this had no impact, and switching them back to normal still didn't work.

Will support be able to help with this sort of thing? I'm supposed to sending out my final prints this week and if I have to port all my drawings into another piece of software to print I'd rather know sooner than later.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Update:

Got it working. I had coworker try it and he was able to reproduce the error on his machine. Also, we found a way to get control back - apparently by changing the model view. Once we switched to a different model view we were able to move the zones backward and then when I switched back the changed help.

Anyone know why model views would impact the drawing order stack?

Edit: Apparently this didn't fix it, just allowed me to correct one object/zone pair out of a few thousand. So it seems switching model views may not have been related.