Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Split Levels

Anonymous
Not applicable
What would be the quickest and the recommended way to utilize archicad when your working with a split level home in terms of storeys? Would you set-up 2 different stories? I want to be able to work on the one storey/plan and print the one story/plan but with both levels (split levels) on.

Thanks guys!
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
mzjustjess wrote:
""""""PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:37 am Post subject: Re: Split Levels Reply with quote
most of my work is multi split levels.. i just use one story for the all levels and set all the walls outside the cutting plain to "symbolic cut". been doing this for 3 years and never had an issue.""""

How would you set the "symbolic cut", if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks alot!
select the walls that are out side the cutting plan, in there settings and under Floor Plan and Section. the drop down for "floor plan display".. its usually always on projected with over head. i change this to symbolic cut
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
mzjustjess wrote:
The difference is 540mm so it's definately under a metre...It sounds easier to keep everything on one story. Would it be the best then to move objects, slabs, doors etc in elevation/section mode or from the ie Wall Selection Settings?

Thanks for the tip guys, you've been very helpful!
If you have a slab at the level required you can use the Gravity function to place walls, objects etc at that level.

If you have these things already placed and need to move them there are several ways, and they all have their own merits. Use the Elevate command (CMD+9 on MAc or CTRL+9 for PC) in plan and input the amount. Do this in the 3D window and you can drag things vertically on screen. In Section / Elevation use the Drag command.

Sometimes its easier to select a wall (for instance) and just change its base setting in the Info box, then the top plate height remains the same.

Skin a cat = many ways.
i never put slabs for floor areas on my main floor plan. i make a floor framing or ceiling "story" under or above and put it there.. main reason is every time i click drag a marquee to select a group of items it always just click drags the slab i have down for the floor. it sucks cos i cant use the magnet tool for levels and items, but click dragging that slab every bloody time was enough reason to sacrifice the magnet tool
Anonymous
Not applicable
"i never put slabs for floor areas on my main floor plan. i make a floor framing or ceiling "story" under or above and put it there.. main reason is every time i click drag a marquee to select a group of items it always just click drags the slab i have down for the floor. it sucks cos i cant use the magnet tool for levels and items, but click dragging that slab every bloody time was enough reason to sacrifice the magnet tool"

I find it easier to "lock" the floor plan so it cannot be selected.
You can also lock the layer where the floor slab is drawn.
Anonymous
Not applicable
locking it still doesn't help.. by locking it it will then select it (the slab on the locked layer) and then make a "ding" sounds to let me know i cant drag it cos its locked. instead of letting me click drag a selection box to select a group of items
Gary Lawes
Participant
Personally I would avoid using spurious storeys. I understand what you are saying regarding selecting slabs, roofs, meshes etc. Remember that holding the spacebar down when dragging out a select window will temporarily override the magnet.
Method I use is as follows -
Create two versions of every layer one with a .2D extension and one with a .3D extension ( the exact names are of course irrelevant but this is what I have used for years so tend to stick with it).
All elements required for the floor plan generation are placed on the .2D layers all elements not wanted on plan but needed to generate elevations/sections and 3D model should be on .3D layers.
Therefore a floor slab that is generally not required in plan drawings would be on .3D and would be switched off, if forming a step put it on .2D then it will generate your 2D step line in plan drawings.

Works well for me, for many reasons, and removes the annoying surfaces whilst you are working
AC 17
Windows 7 Pro
Intel i7-2600
16GB RAM
Anonymous
Not applicable
how can i make a separate levels out off my story levels by work around . i think that i cannot make it with out work around . my problem is how to add plans of a separate section higher than another sections without displaying name of this new story in the other sections ?!
Karl Ottenstein
khater_880 wrote:
how can i make a separate levels out off my story levels by work around . i think that i cannot make it with out work around . my problem is how to add plans of a separate section higher than another sections without displaying name of this new story in the other sections ?!
If I understand you correctly, your concern is that extra stories for the split levels will show up with the story name in your sections? You can control the visibility of every story in the Story Settings dialog - there is checkbox for each story that determines if that story level line (and possibly name) will appear in sections or not.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB