Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to make an read only on Archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wanted to know how to make an read only on Archicad to show a project with people messing it up
8 REPLIES 8
Erika Epstein
Booster
You can do this in TW. Set up guest users (non-you) only have Read Only rights.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In practice, what Erica suggests means creating a new User, for example, with the name "Viewer" and assigning the "Viewer" default Role to it. Then he/she will not be able to manipulate any part of the Project or create any new element.

In Solo ArchiCAD you cannot really do this since even the Demo version is fully functional for 30 days.

Another solution is to publish the project as DWF files with the Project Reviewer environment included. Then they can view the whole thing, even make redlines to it, but not modify the original. You can later import the redlines they made. They will appear as Mark-Up entries in your project.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erika Epstein
Booster
Or let people access it on a computer that has no archicad key. Then the file will work in Demo mode. They can play around in it, but can't save.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Stress Co_
Advisor
or, in a perfect world (one with proper cash flow ), try VBE
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
make a .pdf and lock that.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Karl Frost
Participant
Perhaps you need to clarify what you want other people to be able to do.
If you just want them to be able to look at/print the plans, elevs etc then PDF or DWF outputs should do the trick.
If you want them to be able to "move around" the project, e.g. fly around it in the 3d window, select objects to see what tools have been used etc then I'm assuming you want them to be able to open the ArchiCAD file which would suggest the following:
1. Lock the file in your system e.g. Mac OS has a "locked" button in the File Info so it cannot be saved over etc unless unlocked - the effectiveness depends on how IT-savvy the other users are. This means that you have to remember to unlock the file to begin working, then lock it again once you have finished.
2. Lock all of the information in the ArchiCAD file by either locking the layers or locking all of the objects (Edit->Locking menu) or a combination of the two – the effectiveness depends on how ArchiCAD-savvy the other users are. Similar to 1 above you have to unlock the info to start working and lock it again afterwards.
3. Erika's suggestion of a Teamwork Project with view-only access for others is probably the most secure and easiest for you to be able to work with the file without having to unlock information.
4. Keep your "base" file hidden away in a secret location surrounded by (virtual) guard creatures of imposing size and ferocity, and link it as a module into an otherwise empty file that others can use to view it. This way the view file will always see your updated base file but cannot be changed (unless they break the hotlink, in which case I recommend changing jobs 'cos it's just too much effort).

That's about it from me - time for morning tea! 😄
AC23 (7000 NZE Full) AC24 (6004 NZE Full)

OS 11.16.1 iMac Retina 5K 27" 2020, 64GB RAM
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
ccook :

Or you might create a Work Environment that does not have any editing commands.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Erika Epstein
Booster
whatever happened to ccook?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System