Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

beam edge

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi
can you please help me how to solve this ? inclined beam edge is always horizontal , and it can't be intersected with another beam . I am using this to model railing ( or even metal profiles beams and columns) . even solid element operation wont solve it . the only solution as I can see so far is to have an inclined edge of both beams . how do you solve it ?

its actually the same even with a normal (rectangle section ) beam !
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
another picture
8888.jpg
Chris Grantham
Advocate
Use the beam object, not the beam tool for this application. You are then going to have to adjust the cut planes appropriately.
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Of course you could use the very useful OBJECTiVE tool mentioned often on this forum. You can trim the beams perfectly in the section window in one operation for both beams. I am sure I save the cost of this add-on many times over during a year of use even though this functionality should be included in AC as has also been said many times. Come on Graphisoft.
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chris thank you for the advise, but that will not solve the case of railing , or custom shapes .

Gerald ... thank you for that .

but is that true ? a very simple - every day case- and there is no solution for it?
is that real graphisoft ?
I really can't believe that, I mean it even sounds stupid. I still really wish that we are missing something and that all the other gurus have an answer for that ?

I know I can model it in the plan - which is funny because it just work in the plan - and save it as an object and rotate it but do I really have to do this or want to do this? even if I try to apply that profile to a column the result is still cr@p !
I mean do you really graphisoft think you can survive while you are not addressing even the simplest things and try to pretend that you are big and who cares about the small things !
Organic shapes? no who needs that! complicates shapes ( wait I can't really call an intersection of 2 beams complicated ) no who needs that ! sketchup connection ? no one is using it lets stop it . and also sketchup didn't develop any connection for mac ! sorry we can't do nothing about it its their fault .. well guess what? google really don't give a darn about you ! if you want it to work you find a solution !

really archicad today is soooo far from what it takes to impress any one sorry forgot about team work ..right ..so we can share the failure of modelling the simplest things 2 beams for example ?
Erika Epstein
Booster
You can use the
roof tool for this,
trussmaker, or better yet the
Rail objects which can be set to match what you show and have a slope parameter.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Chris Grantham
Advocate
The rail object is actually what I was thinking of.
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005