BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone heard something about Archicad 14?

what new or improved features or release date or something?

Thanks
107 REPLIES 107
Anonymous
Not applicable
... and your ideas are? ... oh yes, give up
Anonymous
Not applicable
NandoMogollon wrote:

I really thought AC was going to be there first.
Me too.
Dwight
Newcomer
amonle wrote:
... and your ideas are? ... oh yes, give up
I simply point out that in observing that this thread is pessimistic, your addition to it furthers its pessimistic nature.

Me, give up? What I do when software has deficiencies is write books that help users overcome them while you suggest incorporating an entirely separate product.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Im not a programmer but would have thought that having to write a version for Windows and for Mac is twice the work...

so ditch the Mac version and double the manpower available to develope the true potential of AC on one platform.

Mac users can still run the Windows version

I have the impression that GS doesnt have the resources available to keep producing 2 versions AND properly develope AC now the competition is catching up.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight, I suppose your glass of water is always half empty ...
To (reluctantly) explain why I see it half full - Autodesk has shown that with aggressive and effective marketing with a SINGULAR focus, 2D-centric AutoCAD users see a 'natural' transition to Revit for their BIM needs. This is a HUGE reason for the success of Revit (which I shouldn't need to elaborate on).
Nemetschek, as we know has a confusing selection of 3 'BIM' solutions which have no communication between each other except for (ironically) the Autodesk-derived .dwg. Nemetschek needs (and CAN STILL DEVELOP) a strategy with a more SINGULAR focus to give it a fighting chance against Autodesk. ArchiCAD does not need to 'incorporate' Vectorworks (or even parasolid for that matter, even though that wold be a step forward) - it would just be great if it could READ and WRITE Vectorworks files.
Call it 'Vectorworks literacy' if you like.
We know the present situation. Does it stimulate your imagination to have a positive or negative agenda?
Anonymous
Not applicable
upintheclouds wrote:
Im not a programmer but would have thought that having to write a version for Windows and for Mac is twice the work...
This is generally not the case, it's very easy to make software work with both these days with few or no changes to the code although this may not be true for ArchiCAD since it's ancient by software standards. Purely windows development could simplify some aspects, but it's unlikely to be the game changer you'd think it would be.

The problems that I see Graphisoft having with development time as I see it have more to do with the original design of the software and the problems that result from maintaining a procedural code base than from a lack of effort or skill from their programmers. GDL for example doesn't have any support for the object oriented paradigm, even though it's been the dominant form of programming since the early 90s. Stuff like status codes is a very old school approach, and the reason people stopped using procedural methodologies was to shorten development time and prevent bugs.

Also, the documentation is very poor (at least the english documentation) which is a major problem as well. Software can be a bit flakey as long as you can get it to do what you want, and find what you need, but that's not really the case for ArchiCAD. Not only is the documentation obscure and difficult to navigate, it's just plain old wrong sometimes.

If you're looking for signs that ArchiCAD is going to be competitive, look for them to replace GDL with a modern programming language, and look for much better documentation. It's possible the core software will still be of poor quality by modern standards, but at least it would be a sign that they're working in the right direction.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
upintheclouds wrote:

so ditch the Mac version and double the manpower available to develope the true potential of AC on one platform.

Mac users can still run the Windows version

I have the impression that GS doesnt have the resources available to keep producing 2 versions AND properly develope AC now the competition is catching up.
From some research and announcements found on the internet I know that Autodesk is working on porting its programs to the Mac platform.
Just recently there were rumors about an AutoCAD for Mac beta program.
The Mac platform is getting stronger and stronger and really has great momentum. It is becoming a very serious contender to the Windows platform in my opinion.
I think it would be crazy to abandon it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
amonle wrote:
Wow! - all this pessimistic talk.

However I'm very optimistic about the potential of AC - but that potential needs to be turned into electricity.

For long time AC users I hope you get some of the features you have been wishing for in v14 - but for the overall health of AC I hope they can do something (simple?) for newbies - robust out-of-the-box support for VW files - in and out...........

........boundless optimism is a common affliction among relatively new users.

Give it a couple of years or three of continuously diluted upgrades, lack of a clear road-plan or any sort of involvement and engagement with users from the powers-that-be, and that cynicism will begin to kick in and set just right.
Assuming you haven't already switched by then, that is.

A lot of the issues that people tend to rag on GS for failing to improve in ArchiCAD have been long standing issues since AC version 6.5 and some even earlier than that.
That's 7 odd versions and a little over ten years of development time - which includes a completely wasted version (v8.0) that was a clusterf**k of buggy super-crash proportions - with little to show that this was once the pioneering design software in virtual building and design.

I'm actually really hoping that users like yourself don't lose that sense of optimism and hope in GS's development plans for AC's future - they really need people like you to stay on board.

Sadly, long-time users have seen this movie one too many times, held up much hope, heard a lot of talk from the ones-in-the-know (when they actually used to get involved in these forums) and now they just know all too well just how it ends, every single time.
NandoMogollon
Advocate
... from the From the NEMETSCHEK Vectorworks Parasolid document... "From the creation of planar surfaces,
to solid modeling functionality, to free-form modeling features,
Vectorworks enables design
professionals worldwide to design anything they can imagine.
With its robust modeling capabilities, Vectorworks has been used to design the building and
everything in it. Designers need formal freedom not only for the basic elements of walls, doors,
windows, roofs, and slabs, but also to serve as the basis for furnishings and fittings in the building. In
the building shell itself, this could mean a free-form roof shell, or a custom window with an unusually-
shaped border cut into a curved wall. In the finer details, this could mean compound-curved furniture
elements or plumbing fixtures, accurate portrayal of accent lighting fixtures or door hardware, or the
integration of a commissioned sculpture in the building model."

Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
Anonymous
Not applicable
Being optimistic is not bad. But in our case its really out of reality

So imagine you were an Archicad 12 user, working in your office (solo) and not in a big firm and you have paid your subscription. Now Archicad 13 is announched and you go to the web page to see what'new. Where did the money you paid for the subscription go.

And you read... read... and actually see that everything is about TW2. So you paid and you will use zero new features that you can use? Do you feel angry? Frustrated?

And i did not tell you the bad news. You have to pay to upgrade your plugins. So now tell me. Is there a single reason to upgrade?

Now imagine things piling year after year with 1-2 "big" features and 4-5 minor ones. Then you would REALLY be pessimistic.

If there was a proper scripting language , then all those 4-5 minor features, would be found at a users repository scripts, but GS prefers to have an API that changes release after release, without backward compatibility
Learn and get certified!