Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Modeling a surface in a changing plane

NandoMogollon
Advocate
Hi all

I'm looking for options to model this ( see picture)
It needs a little bit of explanation: It is a Steel structure - columns- from 90 degrees to 103, and with different elevations and heights.
It needs a cladding on both sides... I'm doing it with a mesh, but every time it changes, I have to modify all the points in the mesh and the IFC version reads the cladding as Site.

I've tried curtain walls, but those tough very flexible and useful can't work on different reference planes.

Walls don't do the slant properly.

Beams don't do the joint any better.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Nando
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
8 REPLIES 8
Erika Epstein
Booster
Model it as it will be built. Use colums and/or steel library parts etc. as appropriate.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
NandoMogollon
Advocate
Thanks for the reply Erika
Actually the picture show columns from the AC file.
The question is , How would you clad this? How to create the surface?
I'm using a mesh, and it does the trick in 3D, but the 2D representation is far from what we want (shown more like a wall probably)

I hope this clarifies the issue.

Thanks

Nando
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NandoMogollon wrote:
The question is , How would you clad this? How to create the surface?
I'm using a mesh, and it does the trick in 3D, but the 2D representation is far from what we want (shown more like a wall probably)
You can easily do this with OBJECTiVE. Referring to the attached image:
  • 1) Select the regular profile object, set it to 4 edges with the appropriate height and thickness for your wall, and (critically) set it to twist through 13 degrees along its length (see circled parameter).

2) I've placed one profile either side of the columns in this example, and shortened one side so the columns are exposed.

3) It also looks correct in 2D - note how the columns are also visible in plan where the shortened wall exposes the columns.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Ralph,

I came across this question and it was similar to mine. I've figured out how to twist using OBJECTiVE, yet I cannot figure out how to make my wall gradually get taller over the length of it. For example, I start off with a 10' wall and I want it to twist 30 degrees and eventually end up with 15' at the tallest point at the end. How do I do that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Alice
NandoMogollon
Advocate
Hi Alice..
I'm trying with a SEO, it works fro the 3Ds and the Sections/elevations. The floor plan doesn't show the SEO.

Unfortunately the company I'm working at the moment doesn't have or will buy Encina's Objective. I'm still working with a mesh and separate columns.. enormously tedious...

Nando
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Nando! I appreciate your help. Good luck with your project! Lets hope the next version of archicad makes this a little easier.

Alice
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Alice wrote:
I've figured out how to twist using OBJECTiVE, yet I cannot figure out how to make my wall gradually get taller over the length of it. For example, I start off with a 10' wall and I want it to twist 30 degrees and eventually end up with 15' at the tallest point at the end. How do I do that?
I answered this in another post, but in case you (or someone else) missed it:
Make the wall depth 25' along the entire length, and then use OBJECTiVE > Tools > Split to cut off the superfluous area.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow! That was too easy. Thank you very much!

-Alice