Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

elevation view.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,
I have created an object but a part of it I dont want showing in Elevation.

I know there is a command that lets you turn off certain elements depending on which window it is. I cant find it in any manuals though.

I have an old existing object hat has syntax:

IF WndTyp = 2 THEN...... lets you view certain things in section only.

what is the syntax for elevations/ plans/ etc? where can i find it?

I cant find WndTyp anywhere. is it an old command?
6 REPLIES 6
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Dwayne:

I think the command you are looking for is GLOB_CONTEXT (context of appearance), it is in the GDL Reference Guide under GLOBAL VARIABLES (page 261 of the AC 13 guide). I don't think WndTyp is a GDL command, from your snippet it looks like a parameter someone created for their script, the old commands have been listed in the GDL Reference Guide.

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi David,
Really Appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

I have definitely tried the GLOB_CONTEXT command however I dont think there is a way to separate the sections & elevations? I know it may sound odd but there is something I want to show in section but not elevation.

The WndTyp was named after a request command:

Tmp = REQUEST ("HomeDB_info", "", WndIntID, WndID, WndNam, WndTyp)

The GDL manual suggests the command should be "homeContext" however I dont know what the ID is for elevations.

I would have thought that since they have seperated the section & elevations out they would have made the flag(?) seperate as well?
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Dwayne:

Yes, it appears that the GLOB_CONTEXT does not differentiate between Sections and Elevations (this was a single tool in earlier versions of ArchiCAD).

The HomeDB_info Request seems to tell in which context the object was placed, rather than in which context it is being viewed, so this will not help (see page 296 of the GDL Reference Guide). In your script, the variable for the request is WndTyp, in the GDL Guide they are using homeContext, but the result is the same. [I used the search box for the GDL Reference Guide pdf file to find these words.] I don't know if there is a way to differentiate between Sections and Elevations, maybe someone else knows of a way or a work around.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Frank Beister
Advisor
GLOB_CONTEXT needs to be extended, yes! Up to 13 there is no way to request the context for section and elevation separated. I do not know any cheap tricks to check by another parameter or system setting. Sorry.

But there is a way in 13:
Use Model view options to set a parameter, which declares the missing GLOB_CONTEXT value. This needs, that a specific MVO for section and elevation is always correct selected if you change the window.

You can use the MVO settings makro OpenLibraryGlobals to set in section "context" the plantype to section or elevation.

In your object you can request by
sts = LIBRARYGLOBAL("OpenLibraryGlobals", "ef_plantype", OLG_plantype)
if OLG_plantype=3  then print "elevation"
if OLG_plantype=15 then print "section"
You shouldn't change the OpenLibraryGlobals-object, because it can be used by other objects too and it will be updated from time to time.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Anonymous
Not applicable
That is really awesome!! I was hoping something like that for the Model View Option would be available.

That is perfect!! exactly what i wanted!

That has oped up a whole new world of possibilities for me!!

Thanks allot? is that kind of menu easy to build? how did you do it?
Frank Beister
Advisor
The menu is just a UI-script in a special kind of object type. It is not more complicated than other ones. To keep it multilingual is a bit more tricky, but no sorcery.

At the end of the project page you find a link to the gdl documentation, but it offers not a lot of information. Maybe it was discussed here in any other thread.

The object is for free. I introduced it here. You can ship it with your own object. If you are missing common settings, which could be useful for other objects too, feel free to tell me. I will see, if I can implent it.

I still have to do some documentation for the object, but you find some query/request code for your objects in the comment section of the object itself. Open the object for editing and switch to the tab.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm