Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

32 bit to 64 bit back to 32 bit file???

Wokka
Contributor
G'day,
We are having trouble with a file that was taken from XP 32bit into Windows 7 64 bit machine for some rendering work. We now need to do some documentation on the same file in the 32 bit machine. It now takes 15 min's to open it again (everytime!) on the XP machine, with the standard 64 bit warning. Is there some way of purging the file to loss the 'reference' to the 64 bit? (without copying and pasting a entire new file)?
This seems like a big restriction for users with several machines...
Cheers
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
5 REPLIES 5
Erika Epstein
Booster
Interesting. I've opened many files that were on 64bit on a 32bit machine without that trouble. What did you do with the file once it was taken into 64bit?
Has GS investigated this?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
The fact that you open a file on a 64-bit machine should not have any affect on the file's performance in 32-bit. The warning just tells you that if the file was developed on a 64-bit machine, then it can be potentially too big for a 32-bit machine, just because the size limits are different. Please do contact your local ArchiCAD support for a file investigation.
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Wokka
Contributor
Thanks guys, that what I thought. I'm checking all the libraries and 'user error' scenarios a bit more before logging for support.
I'll let you know the outcome....
Cheers
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Karl Ottenstein
I'm wondering if when the file was on the 64 bit machine, the user there didn't leave a lot of sections/elevations, schedules, layouts, etc windows open before saving - and they are all rebuilding when you open the file now. Try closing all windows other than the floor plan (ctrl-shift-w), save the file and re-open. Does it still take 15 minutes to open? Are any libraries on the network, so that it is a network issue rather than an AC issue?

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Interesting discussion here....Aside from Karls suggestion to close section and 3d windows before saving in 64 bit, are there other measures that can be taken to promote a file opening in 32 bit after it has been worked on in 64 bit?