BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Coordinate box question

Anonymous
Not applicable
In the coordinate box there is the "R" for radius. Lets say I've drawn something, and I want to drag it half a given distance. Lets say the full distance that shows up in the "R" section is 29'-7 15/16" (example). Instead of doing the math, is there a way to tell it that I want half that distance? I thought you could do this in autocad. Le me know if I need to explain this better...
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Use the midpoint option in the Relative construction methods of the Control Box palette
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah ha! A little clunky but I'm sure I'll get used to it...

Thanks!
JaredBanks
Mentor
If it's just inches you can add /2 or /3 or /4 Say you know it's 127.25" and you want half of that. Just do 127.25/2 or 127.25/5, etc. So doesn't really work in your instance. But you could do it in segments. 14.5', then 7/2, then 15/32.

I use the /2 trick all the time for simple stuff. It's not hard to figure out half of 37", but 37/2 is so much faster than thinking.

Also this is made easier if you typically use '/' for inches. So 25.25/ instead of 25 1/4" or 25 1/4 or 25.25". Makes it a quick mental leap to 25.25/2 for half that. or 25.25/3 for a third of that, etc.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Erika Epstein
Booster
Long ago, when the earth was young, Dwight christened this the Oingy-Boingy tool and that is what I have called it ever since.

It's very easy to use, start to drag, active the tool, and then click on the start point and then the end point and it will place what you are moving at the midpoint if that is what snap point is set to. Or if snaps is set to divisions such as 5 you have the choice owhich 1/5 point between you want to move the element to.

Distance snap option works similarly
Percentage works slightly different in that it requires you to have the element you are moving at the start point to move it that percentage distance and you will not an option of every 20% e.g.; just the one 20% of distance.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Steven wrote:
Ah ha! A little clunky but I'm sure I'll get used to it...
Steven:

I have assigned this a keyboard shortcut (you can find it in the Work Environment at Keyboard Shortcuts > All Commands by Theme > 11 Actions > Special Snap Constraints) and use it without a thought.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all for your input.

Since I started this post I've used it at least a dozen times. I will probably create as a keyboard shortcut.

Thanks again!
JaredBanks
Mentor
I'm finding more and more times when this is an awesome trick. Thanks. I'm going to share it with the Minnesota ArchiCAD Users Group tonight.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Learn and get certified!