Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

AutoCad , Back to MAC (beta screenshots) !

TMA_80
Enthusiast
it's almost here:

http://www.macstories.net/news/first-screenshots-of-autocad-for-mac/

I can assume we should hear the same thing for Revit ...GS be careful ! .
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
54 REPLIES 54
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you read the EULA (End User Licence Agreement) you are leasing the right to use the software vendor's technology for your use only. At least with Autodesk, you cannot resell the license to someone else legally.

The software is registered, installed and put into their database if someone bought your license it would be very difficult to every reinstall it or upgrade it. Anyone buying that license to save money would be screwed. If you sold your license and someone tried to install it, YOU would get a phone call from Autodesk License Compliance division. That's never a fun phone call.

You can only transfer a license through corporate merging of two companies. Of course, there are cases winding their way through the court system that can change all of that, but for now, have any of you actually read your EULAs or did you just click accept when installing every piece of software on your computers?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
There was a court case in which Autodesk lost against someone who sold his used copy of AutoCAD on Ebay. The judge decided that AutoCAD is sold not licenced :

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2008/05/court-smacks-autodesk-affirms-right-to-sell-used-sof...
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
REVIT3DdotCOM wrote:
If you read the EULA (End User Licence Agreement) you are leasing the right to use the software vendor's technology for your use only. At least with Autodesk, you cannot resell the license to someone else legally.

The software is registered, installed and put into their database if someone bought your license it would be very difficult to every reinstall it or upgrade it. Anyone buying that license to save money would be screwed. If you sold your license and someone tried to install it, YOU would get a phone call from Autodesk License Compliance division. That's never a fun phone call.

You can only transfer a license through corporate merging of two companies. Of course, there are cases winding their way through the court system that can change all of that, but for now, have any of you actually read your EULAs or did you just click accept when installing every piece of software on your computers?
So the users are "screwed" by Autodesk - yes - the license is the right to use the software - but in most cases such rights can be transfered to 3rd party, but such monopolist could make their EULA the way they want - I think the thinking decision makers should rather avoid using software with such clauses in the EULAs.
I know of another "funny" thing about Autodesk licensing policy - A company I know - changed their adress (inside the same city BTW) and they had a big problems with Autodesk - who claimed that they had to buy the licences again because of that - it was about 20 lics or so - so it was not an easy task.

Unfortunately the British GS division as I am reading some of previous posts is also SCREWING the users the Autodesk way - not allowing to sell AC licenses ;(

Best regards,
Piotr
Anonymous
Not applicable
In the court case Lazlo posted, the defendant sold the software anyway, and the EULA didn't stand up in court. I get the sense that EULAs do bully the users, but in court the EULA may not have any legs
Anonymous
Not applicable
metanoia wrote:
In the court case Lazlo posted, the defendant sold the software anyway, and the EULA didn't stand up in court. I get the sense that EULAs do bully the users, but in court the EULA may not have any legs
For most the barrier of going to court is as good as enforcement of the EULA.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Matthew wrote:
metanoia wrote:
For most the barrier of going to court is as good as enforcement of the EULA.
Touché
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Piotr wrote:

So the users are "screwed" by Autodesk - yes - the license is the right to use the software - but in most cases such rights can be transfered to 3rd party, but such monopolist could make their EULA the way they want - I think the thinking decision makers should rather avoid using software with such clauses in the EULAs.
I know of another "funny" thing about Autodesk licensing policy - A company I know - changed their adress (inside the same city BTW) and they had a big problems with Autodesk - who claimed that they had to buy the licences again because of that - it was about 20 lics or so - so it was not an easy task.

Unfortunately the British GS division as I am reading some of previous posts is also SCREWING the users the Autodesk way - not allowing to sell AC licenses ;(

Best regards,
Piotr
My first question is, who made you buy the software you use? Did Autodesk or Graphisoft force you to buy their product? It's a free market. No one at any software company, or for that matter, clothing store, restaurant, cable company, cellular company or car company made you buy their products.

You can't willingly buy something and then complain about it. If you have an issue, it should be with your clients that require you to use technology to provide them a deliverable. You're in business. You need tools to do your job. There's a price to pay for those tools. You add those costs into your fee hopefully like every other business in the world. So, what's your point about complaining about the EULA and all the other BS?

Do you complain to the oil company or the car company that your car only gets 20 mpg? Sorry to be so harsh (not really, I'm always like this), but you have to deal with the cost of being in business. All of you should just be thankful you're using BIM and not CAD. You're more efficient and hopefully, on the cutting edge. You spend less time drafting and are making more money. Thank Autodesk and Graphisoft for developing tools that help you have the time to be reading this and not drawing lines all day.

On the other point of the address change and having to repurchase licenses. That's completely untrue. There's a form you fill out, sign it, submit it to Autodesk and voila, your address is changed. The only possibility was that they tried to use the licenses at another firm. It is an implausible story. The license is only tied to the company or individual that purchased the license. There is no bearing on the address in any way in Autodesk's system.

OK. Your turn....
REVIT3DdotCOM wrote:
My first question is, who made you buy the software you use? Did Autodesk or Graphisoft force you to buy their product? It's a free market.
Yes it is free market - so I am pointing out that Autodesk - the biggest CAD producer in the world is "screwing" users who for some reasons would like to reduce their licenses - they paid for them and cannot sell the license rights.
I have to point out for the decision makers in the architectural offices/companies - that the some software vendors do not permit to resell their licenses they paid for!!!!!!
You can't willingly buy something and then complain about it.

What? so You think that: You buy the goods and You are with them for good and bad?
In the NORMAL world - if I do not like the item I bought I can resell it...
but wait - You cannot do like that with Autodesk license...it is simply not fair!!!!!
You're in business. You need tools to do your job. There's a price to pay for those tools. You add those costs into your fee hopefully like every other business in the world. So, what's your point about complaining about the EULA and all the other BS?
Yup - but normally You can sell the tools if You not need them.
I am complaining about EULAs (or rather producers policies) - because they are not fair - simply.
Do you complain to the oil company or the car company that your car only gets 20 mpg? Sorry to be so harsh (not really, I'm always like this), but you have to deal with the cost of being in business. All of you should just be thankful you're using BIM and not CAD. You're more efficient and hopefully, on the cutting edge. You spend less time drafting and are making more money.
Yes of course - but one of the decision points - was - If I will be able to sell the tools I use - when/if I will not need them any more. An I have chosen Archicad - 1. because it is a good tool for the job and 2. I can sell one of my licenses if the economy force me to reduce the firm.

On the other point of the address change and having to repurchase licenses. That's completely untrue. There's a form you fill out, sign it, submit it to Autodesk and voila, your address is changed. The only possibility was that they tried to use the licenses at another firm. It is an implausible story. The license is only tied to the company or individual that purchased the license. There is no bearing on the address in any way in Autodesk's system.
I am not saying the company did not workout the problem - they did - but after the "problems" - they reviewed the EULAs - and moreover the Autodesk policy (the EULA says - that Autodesk can agree for reselling licenses - but they never(or almost never) agreed for) - so they decided not to upgrade again and switched to Archicad.
And normally - they should have the right to sell the not used goods - as they not use them - but not in the Autodesk's world.

Remember - You cannot treat the software license like the fuel to the car - the license id non-material right to use something, and while doing business - the software licenses are not treated like the fuel or other "depleting" suplies - and in most countries You cannot just put the license in the costs - there are rules of amortization/depreciation.
And what will hapen if You have to for some reason close the bussines and those rules did not apply completly - seems that using Autodesk products - You just lost your money - again - UNFAIR.

Best Regards,
Piotr
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Folks,

Interesting discussion... but I wouldn't waist my time on it... Cloud computing is on its way.
My 2 cents.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Braza
"Cloud computing is on its way"
Yeh, and that bums me out.
It's all sooner than we want (including music), that it will be more
like renting the right to use the whatever by
the minute or whatever the big kahunas dictate.
Better get your songs now, large cloud delivery centers
are being built as fast as they can:-(((((((

lec