Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Any computer recommendations??? Buying a new computer

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just bought Archicad 14..looking into a new comp..just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for graphics cards, etc?? I also have artlantis studio on the way.We will be doing a few bit of real life rendering and video walk throughs for advertising.
Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
RandyC
Advocate
Is this the amazing Tony Drover formerly from British Columbia ?
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
Karl Ottenstein
TDrover wrote:
I just bought Archicad 14..looking into a new comp..just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for graphics cards, etc?? I also have artlantis studio on the way.We will be doing a few bit of real life rendering and video walk throughs for advertising.
Thanks
If a Mac is an option ... IMHO the 27" iMac with the quad core i7 processor is the best bang for the buck. Beautiful screen; great value. If you look at the Artlantis forums in the 'benchmark 2' thread, you'll see super performance. I confirmed on a friend's machine that 8 virtual cores rendered the benchmark image in 180 seconds - which compares well to my 8 real core Mac Pro which was 150 seconds.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
You could check this recent webcast from G.S. here;
If your a Archiplus subscriber or have a friend who is.
http://www.graphisoftus.com/events.php
Look near the bottom for "Dream Machine"
Does a good job of showing you where to spend and where to save some cash on a machine specifically for AC.
Mac or PC
Since you just purchased 14, even if your not on subscription, I would think your reseller would grant you a look at "Dream Machine"?
Even though I'm glad I got to see video first, if asked, I vote for this video
at least to be shared with anyone who has spent this much for software.
Seems like the least they could do.

ps.
Although more is better for future use, I was surprised that an i5 was considered good enough with min 6gigs in presentation by Greg.
4gigs apparently will slow you down with 64 bit sys. if I remember right.
Of course, watch out for doggy video cards.

lec
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the help!

yes randy its me..How's everything going? just started a design & drafting position with a construction company. A few of us are trying to find whats best for a few of the programs.

I think we have it figured out except for the graphics card. I am looking at NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800. Would that be suited for photorealistic renderings and walk throughs or would it be best to upgrade to the 3800. Or should I look at another line in NVIDIA graphics cards?

Thanks!
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
yes, the 1800 is great for ArchiCAD.

if you're still looking for systems, I highly recommend the HP Z series.

The Z400 is a perfect ArchiCAD box, and if you have some cash to burn, the Z600 and Z800 systems are even better.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi all,
We are upgrading AC to version 14 in our office soon with new computer, just wondering if following PC system (suggested from IT people) would be appropriate for AC14, Artlantis and Photoshop:

- HP Z400 Xeon W3520 3GB 500 FX1800 XPDG W7
- HP 2GB DDR3-1333 DIMM Memory (x3)
- HP DISPPort To DVI-D ADAPT

Shall we get any thing better?? just incase for future AC versions and Artlantis system requirements.

Hope to get your help soon.

Much thanks

Star
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,
i am getting a new computer with window XP 64 Bit, assuming a situation where I am working on a project on my new 64 Bit PC, would there be problems for my collegues' to work on my project with their pc window xp 34 bit??

Hope to get your help soon.

Much thanks

Star
Miron
Newcomer
Hello everybody!

I am getting to buy new PC for AC and others CADs.

I was thinking about Xeon W3520 but after I saw yesterday this video:
/http://www.graphisoftus.com/events.php
Look near the bottom for "Dream Machine" /

where the guy is saying that Intel Core i5 is good enough.

So wchich CPU would you recommend
Xeon W3520 or Intel Core i7?

Which MB for each of the CPU above?

I am definite to get NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800, 8GB RAM and 2xHDD, Win7 64 bit
vistasp
Advisor
I really don't know enough about the Xeon to comment on the difference with the i7 but I've been working on a configuration for the latter and have been advised to use 6, 9 or 12 gigs of RAM because the i7 (9xx series at least) have triple channel memory. I'll be going with 3 sticks of 2GB each.

Do a search for triple channel memory if you want to learn more.

HTH
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |