Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Incorrect reflection

Scott Bulmer
Booster
I know this may not be the correct forum for this but here goes; is there a way to make the reflection in windows map correctly the rear of the billboard object being reflected? This was rendered in Artlantis R, but I believe it will be the same in LW. This is a typical condition we have that repeats itself many times.
Thanks as always,
Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Scott,

I've noticed same thing but only regarding 2d silhouettes and bachground images. 3d objects reflects correctly. I think it is characteristic for flat objects - they just have one viewplane to present. My workaround for background is... not to use it or put an extra poster behind the camera to diversify the reflections.

Cheers
stefan
Expert
This is expected behaviour of billboard images in ANY rendering application.
You would either use a two-sided material (with a front and back photograph), or real 3D objects.

Or add them in the post-process (Photoshop, Piranesi) and ignore their reflections.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Pawel & Stefan,
Thanks so much for the valued info. Based on your comments, looks like an airbrush is the least painless and quickest solution. Maybe one day the poster/billboards will be two sided!

Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
David Pacifico
Booster
Piranesi has a nice way of "capturing" a reflection so you can paint it on the surface you like.

... Of course it is only capturing the reflection of what it can see. So you don't see the faces of the people. You see their backs becuase that is what is "captured"... It's a trick, (dwight trademark term) but effective for most.
David Pacifico, RA

AC27 iMac i9, 32 gig Ram, 8 gig video Ram
Anonymous
Not applicable
want two sided billboards (and more)? - use RPC
of course not in archicad
3dsmax or cinema4d
Djordje
Ace
zucoc wrote:
3dsmax or cinema4d
Also in Piranesi ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Karl Ottenstein
Djordje wrote:
zucoc wrote:
3dsmax or cinema4d
Also in Piranesi ...
Yes - nice in Piranesi for frontal views ... and multiple views of the same scene (and not available in Artlantis) ... but will not solve the reflection problem in Piranesi since, as David illustrates, the reflection is a 'capture' of the front view, not an actual ray traced render.

Scott,

Hi. You should consider the Fresnel glass shader in Artlantis R... it gives slightly distorted reflections and detects the individual lights. Sliders give you control over the distortion. Add a bit more specular to reduce the solid blue effect (unless you like that). Fresnel gives a much more realistic effect than a flat reflection. If the render time is short, you can render twice - once with and once without the flat people and combine the two images in Photoshop.

Also, The billboard vegetaion looks kind of bad in this image. Sometimes flat veg looks ok, but at this angle and proximity to the building, the Artlantis 3D vegetation (only a few free ones) may look better?

Have fun,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Karl Ottenstein wrote:
Fresnel glass shader in Artlantis R... it gives slightly distorted reflections and detects the individual lights. Sliders give you control over the distortion. Add a bit more specular to reduce the solid blue effect (unless you like that). Fresnel gives a much more realistic effect than a flat reflection.
Hey Karl,

Thank you for your critical eye and suggestions. I agree that the billboard vegetation looks somewhat unrealistic when viewed so close.

This is my first project using any Artlantis product. I admit that I was seduced by the ease of populating/enriching the model. Also, the batch render feature (incredible!) allowed production of multiple views overnight, but landscape placement in one view may not have been appropriate for another. So as inferred, some close views should be created with the vegetation placed in alternate locations (cheating actual location of objects). Because there is no folder hierarchy structure for objects (at least in XP), perhaps close up views should be created in a separate Artlantis file, using cheated object locations, with the original file preserved for wider views.

AFA the quality of the billboard images; before Artlantis I added billboards from Image Cells professional series in Photoshop post production to LW renderings, but the billboard shadows weren’t 100% convincing (drop shadow layer effect). As you pointed out, some of those billboards may look better. Do you know of a way to import those into Art-R?

Finally, the Fresnel shader is a wonderful effect for the window reflections. Thanks so much for the 411 on that!

I am having fun. Artlantis R has been a great tool to use. Thanks again!
Scott
Djordje
Ace
Scott wrote:
AFA the quality of the billboard images; before Artlantis I added billboards from Image Cells professional series in Photoshop post production to LW renderings, but the billboard shadows weren’t 100% convincing (drop shadow layer effect). As you pointed out, some of those billboards may look better. Do you know of a way to import those into Art-R?
Just drag them into the library ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen