Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

importing tiff file

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having trouble importing a .tiff file into ArchiCAD. I had some floor plans from a client scanned, and put on a disc in .tiff format, and I can't get it to open. I have tried merging it into a new project, but it locks up the system. I have tried opening it with ArchiCAD, but after several minutes of waiting, all I get is a window with a light tan background, and not drawing. I tried saving it as a bitmap, (.bmp), but I get the same results. I thought this was a common practice, but I guess I'm doing something wrong. Could someone please advise me?
Thank you,
Lee Deering
ArchiCAD 8.1
Window XP Professional
Dell Dimension 8300, Pentium 4, 2.6ghz
5 REPLIES 5
Dwight
Newcomer
Tiff files have many flavors - some systems can cope with layers and varied compression schemes. Mac flavors still have more variations that PC can't use.

If you have Photoshop, flatten the image, convert to RGB, and re-save without any compression.

Perhaps this file is too big - make a coarse version as a test.
Dwight Atkinson
Aladar Kish
Contributor
Use the "figure" tool to bring the tiff into an already open ArchiCAD file rather than a merge or opening it directly.
AC 4.2 - AC 24 7006 FRA
mac OS 11.6.7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, Aladar. That was helpful.
Lee
Dwight
Newcomer
Importing TIFF is a recognized issue dealt with in the ArchiGuide:

http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/tiffinarchicad.html
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
And if we are to be making biblical references here on the secular ArchiCAD-Talk forum, as a designer of residences, I pick: John 14:2
Dwight Atkinson