Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Lightworks without archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

In the Web of lightworks I found these images, reason why I know is not possible to be arrived at this quality with ArchiCAD. So that? I am looking for a software that recognizes the textures created with archicad and renderice with lightworks. A software that continues to render of archicad and improves it.

http://www.lightwork.com/lw_image.php?img=phone_hdri2_gamma_640
http://www.lightwork.com/lw_image.php?img=portal_light_final_640

thanks,
Gabriel

portal_light_final_640.jpg
28 REPLIES 28
TomWaltz
Participant
Lightworks is an add-on rendering package that is made for programs other than Archicad.. this is probably from one of them.
Tom Waltz
Dwight
Newcomer
FormZ comes to mind as the most likely export from Archicad that uses LightWorks as a renderer.

If you want to export an ArchiCAD model, it is usually simple to make material name links in the file. Others can tell you the specific problems with linking files.....

Whatever rendering package gets used downstream brings its own surface qualities to the linked material name.
Professional rendering software has rich surface definitions that contribute to rich effects. Our ArchiCAD material definitions are still child's play compared to what the big boys offer.

The weakness in this is mapping direction control. Often, the mapping is bad. Cinema 4D, for instance has numerous ways to map a texture to an irregular surface - more choices than with ArchiCAD. Moving to a richer environment means developing a way to add data that is not in Archicad's definition.

My point is that to deviate from the ArchiCAD/LightWorks arrangement means WORK. You must refine a suitable material library or build your own in any event.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight, I understand the subject of the materials, for that reason I ask for a software that uses lightworks so that it takes the materials created in archicad for lightworks.

Greetings,
Gabriel
Dwight
Newcomer
Energy in this area is best spent lobbying Graphisoft to implement the remaining LightWorks features so we no longer pine for the fjords.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Energy in this area is best spent lobbying Graphisoft to implement the remaining LightWorks features so we no longer pine for the fjords.
I agree Why buy another render program if ArchiCAD have the lightworks render engine?... It needs lots of improvements, but it is still a good platform... It has displacement maps and dielectric shaders and others (art.lantis don't)... Maybe all that ArchiCAD needs (in matter of render) is a better material editor and radiosity/GI for lightworks.
Dwight
Newcomer
I apologize for being obtuse. In the last message, I spoke in analogy, where one thing relates to another superficially unrelated thing.

I come to this way of communicating because of an old Star Trek episode where Kirk and the crew encounter a group of aliens who, interestingly enough, speak English, but always in analogy. Even to give simple commands, they would mention a historic event and a subordinate alien would know to turn the wheel to the left or whatever. Kirk, not being alien, found it hard to grasp the imbedded meaning in their words. As the alien commander lay dying, mumbling something about “… at tanagra…” somehow they figured out that he was referring to a pivotal historic battle and its outcome. Things worked out.
Does anyone remember this episode? (My favorite next to the tribbles.)
Was anyone here even born then?

In this case “pine for the fjords” refers to an old Monty Python comedy sketch where a man is complaining about having been sold a dead parrot. The shopkeeper says that the bird, a “…Norwegian Blue, lovely plumage…” is motionless on its perch because it is “…pining for the fjords.” In fact, it IS dead and is merely nailed in position.

So, when we discuss rendering weaknesses in Archicad, for me, it is like standing at a counter and complaining about having been sold a dead parrot. The shopkeeper, Graphisoft, is there, making up nonsense excuses about why we only got obsolete ray-tracing when everybody else has radiosity, and why the fly-through capability is rudimentary and why there is no rendering preview or real-time OpenGL shadows or transparency.

It is obvious. Marketing. They need to be able to point at features, say the software can do them, and it isn’t until you actually buy the thing that you see the nails in the perch.

The comedy sketch ends in violence, whereas this diatribe merely ends in bitter disappointment. At least the sun is better in Archicad 10.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Dielectric, Schmielectric - just a two-bit word for glass.

That multi-layer paint Shader! Whoooo baby, now THERE's a shader worth writing home to Mom about.

And that ShadowCatcher! Go figure.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
it is like standing at a counter and complaining about having been sold a dead parrot. The shopkeeper, Graphisoft, is there, making up nonsense excuses.
That's very funny Dwight!
At least you make us laugh about it!
Dwight
Newcomer
Laughing through bitter tears, that is me.
Dwight Atkinson