BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Product display - critique welcome

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Hi,
I got inspired by one of my clients yesterday and played a little with the Profiler add-on. I then thought of a way to display objects. My idea is to have one .pln file with some ready "stands" where I could place gdl-stuff I do.

This is a simple set up with sky object, sun and a small floating general light.
Do you have any ideas how to improve or do you have own examples you would like to share? Spotlight to showmore drama? I wanted to create a very even light situation for this one.

When I look at the images I feel there has to be a dominant shadow to accentuate the volume of the stand. The middle image is very flat.

The image is somewhat softed in PS...

Cheers,
Mats

product-stand-test-render.jpg
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
My only suggestion would be to have a totally plain background, maybe the material you have on the wall of the first two images, also applied to the table/floor/whatever. Like alot of these product shots:
http://gallery.mcneel.com/?language=&g=1

I think the timber and concrete textures take away too much attention from the object.

Nice vase thing.

Oh - and maybe a more dramatic view angle.
Dwight
Newcomer
Product photographers use a curved cove to disguise the transition between floor and wall.

They also use three light sources: a key light, a modeling light and a fill light to modulate shadows. It is important for shiny surfaces to pick up some of this as specular reflection.

You might make your glass have less roughness to emphasis this type of reflection.

It also pays, when doing close views of cast glass, to introduce irregularity through a texture map with reduced opacity. Attached is a map I used in doing my crystal candle holders exercise in my book.

This one is a png because I got frustrated with the 256 k image post limit, but if you write to me, I'llsend you a tiff file with an alpha channel that is better.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
@Tom
very nice site
Anonymous
Not applicable
For single objects like furniture I use simple "standing man" perspective and natural ground material - to show scale of an object.
For a more complex compostion there is nothing better than what Dwight describe. I use two of such coves - making a corner with them. It is the best way to mark the space and still keep the objects most important.
I would avoid making interesting background since it is not the subject of a scene.

Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight
Newcomer
The bile of envy rises in my throat over your metallic spheroid.

Please post the shader setting.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
..enjoy
stand pp3.jpg
Learn and get certified!