BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

No multi thread archiCAD?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Seems like AC10 only uses 1 of my four processors in my G5 Quad. Is this fixed for Intel Macs? Why isnt archicad able to use 4 processors?
5 REPLIES 5
__archiben
Booster
Daniel wrote:
Seems like AC10 only uses 1 of my four processors in my G5 Quad. Is this fixed for Intel Macs? Why isnt archicad able to use 4 processors?
archicad isn't a multi-processor aware application . . . and apparently re-writing it to be one is a huge job.

the lightworks rendering module is multi-processor aware, but the testing i did with it suggested that this aspect, too, only managed to use 2 processors at a time max in a quad . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
TomWaltz
Participant
~/archiben wrote:
Daniel wrote:
archicad isn't a multi-processor aware application . . . and apparently re-writing it to be one is a huge job.

the lightworks rendering module is multi-processor aware, but the testing i did with it suggested that this aspect, too, only managed to use 2 processors at a time max in a quad . . .

~/archiben
I took a class on that recently.... it's a HUGE undertaking to make a program work with a multi-processor setup.

I know AC9 Lightworks ran all 4 processors on my Quad G5 but I have not tried it AC10.
Tom Waltz
Aussie John
Newcomer
TomWaltz wrote:
it's a HUGE undertaking to make a program work with a multi-processor setup.
Archicad 20 here we come
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Thomas Holm
Booster
I think the transition to multi-threading in Archicad will be slow, and gradual, but it will happen with time. Remember, Lightworks now works within Archicad and it's still multi-threaded. We will see that within other Archicad program modules eventually, as needed, and as prioritized within Graphisoft.

The issue is that the .pln file is a database, and you can't have multiple threads updating it simultaneously. Priorities and privileges must reign, or we'll have chaos. What I think is possible, though, is multiple threads running in the background updating background views/windows while you're working, this would give you less delays when you switch views.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
it does not work that way.
Archicad has a core programming layer. An internal graphic engine.
That part has to be rewritten. This is not a part by part procedure.

Lightworks is an external program. It has nothing to do with archicad.
It may be multicore aware or not. The procedure goes [send file to renderer->get image]
Learn and get certified!