Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Urgent Help! Zone Area mess!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Zones in my project behave in a strange way - some of them changed their area to almost zero! Update does not affect them! They are not affected when I stretch them or when I change the construction method!

The only option is to delete the zone and redraw it manually with manual construction method!

Project is made in AC10 1176 int full . Zones are drawn with Zone_Stamp_02 10 with Inner Edge construction method.

I suppose the bug has something to do with multistory columns (all the grey ones). This is ground zero(+0.00) plan and columns start from the underground parking (-2.75) and continue to roof (+11.75).

Any help and ideas will be greatly appreciated as I am due to finish the 6000 sq.m. project till the end of the week!
8 REPLIES 8
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Is it possible that the Zones found some areas within Walls and not areas with Walls around them.
At times I noticed this things happen.
The way you create your Columns and Walls can have an effect on it. E.g. if you break your Wall when it reaches the Column and continue on the other side of the Column then the Zone will have greater difficulty finding its boundaries and that sometimes causes it to find areas within Walls.
Actually this is an experience with AC9, I have not used AC10 or AC11 on live projects yet.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I found the problem and solved it partially - just enough to continue working!

Problem lies in the "Add Wall Recesses to Zones" from Project Preferences. If it is on, Zones calculate only the recesses of certain elements:

- If there are only windows with sill greater than zero in the room it works fine.
- If there are windows with sill set to zero it gets wrong.
- If there are any custom made windows with Wallhole ID it gets wrong.
- Doors affect it from time to time but I was not able to understand how and why!

So, go to Project Preferences/Zones and uncheck all the "Add Wall Recesses to Zones" checkboxes. Uncheck also "Area Reduction under low ceiling" - just in case!

Note this:
- Changing Zones in Project Preferences affects all the floors and views!
- Changing Dimensions in Project Preferences for area calculation affects only the current view. To remember the changes you have to resave the view.
- After changing Zones in Project Preferences itis better to update the zones in every story separately!
- If you have any modules with zones you have to update them separately!

This is what I start to do now!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
GS may be interested in what you found.
You should forward this problem to your local reseller and they will forward it to GS for investigation.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, Laszlo!
I have already done it!
But I get answers from the Forum faster!
Anonymous
Not applicable
THIS IS INTERESTING THAT THIS TOPIC IS NOW ALMOST A YEAR OLD AND AC12 STILL HAS THIS ISSUE!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Millard, who cares about Zones? We have the Curtain wall tool!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh, right....
And no storefront tools.....
Erika Epstein
Booster
Millard wrote:
Oh, right....
And no storefront tools.....
That's why the 11 migration library was included.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"