BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Drawing Tool-DWG and TEXT problem, need help.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need help with the Drawing Tool, have spend hours to get this issue taken care of.
When using Drawing Tool to bring in the (attached) dwg surveyor plan which was drawn in feet the text comes in very large (I think 12 times the actual) which I do not have any control on. At point of placement on my Worksheet only the drawing scale (which is feet) is questioned by AC and not the text. The Resize tool can not exclude/include text either. Do not know how to make sense of it? Help.
Thanks in advance,
Joseph
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Since you're a veteran member and working in 11 (I'm still in 10) my response it probably not relevant. But...

I always bring survey dwgs into a separate pln prior to merging or referencing them in to the pln I'm working in. What I usually do with surveys is merge them into a blank site template with the plan window set for a common engineering scale (ie 1"-20') and my standard translator which scales up by 12. Once that is done I check for the merged dwg's scale, if its different I throw that file away reset the window scale and remerge.

Once done I dimension a marked line to check for size accuracy. Then I find and select all text and change them from fixed to scaled. This plan had multiple levels of groups that had to be ungrouped before that could be done.

Seems like a lot of work but all that for this file took less than five minutes. When done the survey can be referenced in and displayed at any reasonable scale without the gigantic text problem.

Dave
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dave wrote:
Since you're a veteran member and working in 11 (I'm still in 10) my response it probably not relevant. But...

I always bring survey dwgs into a separate pln prior to merging or referencing them in to the pln I'm working in. What I usually do with surveys is merge them into a blank site template with the plan window set for a common engineering scale (ie 1"-20') and my standard translator which scales up by 12. Once that is done I check for the merged dwg's scale, if its different I throw that file away reset the window scale and remerge.

Once done I dimension a marked line to check for size accuracy. Then I find and select all text and change them from fixed to scaled. This plan had multiple levels of groups that had to be ungrouped before that could be done.

Seems like a lot of work but all that for this file took less than five minutes. When done the survey can be referenced in and displayed at any reasonable scale without the gigantic text problem.

Dave
This works when the survey plan is finalized and is not about to change! But when it is a working progress like electrical or Mechanical plans, I would like them to update automatically when new up to date drawing is available. X-Referencing, I do not like due to many ADDED attributes to my AC file when doing so.
Thanks,
Joseph
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
When you place a DWG using the Drawing tool, AC will ask you if you want to match the DWG's units to feet or inches (amongst others). All this bascially does is scale the whole thing by 12, where feet is 12 times the size of inches as in reality.

The size of your text is determined by the scale of the plan.

These are two separate issues. In your case, I would set the floor plan scale to what you want (eg. 1"=20') then insert the DWG as a drawing matching the units to feet (or 1 foot as it reads), because that's probably what the surveyors used. You can do this in reverse too, if you really wanna get adventurous.

What's more alarming is that the contents of your drawing seems to appear about 16,000 feet away from your drawing frame. This is probably because the survey was drawn that far from the origin orignally, but it still seems buggy nevertheless. Changing the drawing frame status makes no difference and it seems to disappear when the drawing frame is not on the screen. I guess you can manually resize your frame if it bothered you.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
........The size of your text is determined by the scale of the plan.
I am shocked to see that Worksheets do not behave the same as Story or even an Independent Detail; meaning when the scale in a Worksheet is set to effect the text size of a DWG, the Worksheet scale keeps the text size to the DWG hard coded size. BUT Story scale and Independent Detail's scale effects and changes the texts of DWG text sizes properly. To me this is a big BUG unless I am missing a setting link??
Thanks,
Joseph
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Joseph wrote:
Link wrote:
........The size of your text is determined by the scale of the plan.
I am shocked to see that Worksheets do not behave the same as Story or even an Independent Detail; meaning when the scale in a Worksheet is set to effect the text size of a DWG, the Worksheet scale keeps the text size to the DWG hard coded size. BUT Story scale and Independent Detail's scale effects and changes the texts of DWG text sizes properly. To me this is a big BUG unless I am missing a setting link??
Thanks,
Joseph
Sorry mate - I can't replicate that here on my PC. It works the same for any type of window, where the scale sets the size of the text. Is your worksheet at the correct scale (i.e. 1"=20')?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
Sorry mate - I can't replicate that here on my PC. It works the same for any type of window, where the scale sets the size of the text. Is your worksheet at the correct scale (i.e. 1"=20')?
Cheers,
Link.
Yes I have set my Worksheet to 1"=30' and the text still is enlarged but okay in Story & Detail windows. Could it be a Mac problem?
Joseph
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Possibly. Have you tried a quick test on a New & Reset project file?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
Possibly. Have you tried a quick test on a New & Reset project file?

Cheers,
Link.
Yes, I have just tried that and still the same?!
It is funny that at 1/4" scale the text looks proportional to the drawing
Joseph
Anonymous
Not applicable
If someone could try my file or any DWG file on their Mac to see if they encounter the same problems in a Work Sheet by use of Drawing Tool or not I will appreciate it, before I try to report it as a BUG on Mac.
Thanks,
Joseph
Learn and get certified!