Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Fill definitions on peer to peer networks

Anonymous
Not applicable
We create simple fills eg for paving slabs, tiling patterns, block coursing etc. We have a simple network over Airport, and share projects and layout books back and forth; some projects remain as plns, others become plps.

The Problem: When the lbk is opened on the other computer, the fill origin resets itself, making this unworkable for sharing. Is this a known problem (workaround?) or am I missing something obvious?

A similar issue was raised under "BGArchiCAD not loading library parts" in the construction docs - any connection?
8 REPLIES 8
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Nigel wrote:
We create simple fills eg for paving slabs, tiling patterns, block coursing etc. We have a simple network over Airport, and share projects and layout books back and forth; some projects remain as plns, others become plps.

The Problem: When the lbk is opened on the other computer, the fill origin resets itself, making this unworkable for sharing. Is this a known problem (workaround?) or am I missing something obvious?

A similar issue was raised under "BGArchiCAD not loading library parts" in the construction docs - any connection?
There is a fix for this problem on ArchiGuide. But it's for Windows only, sorry.
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Djordje
Ace
Ben wrote:
There is a fix for this problem on ArchiGuide. But it's for Windows only, sorry.
And the URL of the fix is ... ?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Djordje wrote:
Ben wrote:
And the URL of the fix is ... ?
DOH! Sorry
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/fillsmisidentified.html
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
So does anyone in Macland know the equivalent of this (under OSX)? There must be one, or am I deluding myself?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't recall running into this in AC8.0 myself, but I don't think I ever used it the way you describe. In any case there seems to be no such problem (AFAIK) in AC8.1/PM3.1.
__archiben
Booster
nigel

if you could give me a bit more info i'll try a few things on monday morning -

are the files shared from a central server or swapped from computer to computer as the users need them?

is it just custom fills, or does this happen with the default set?

are you sure that it is the fill origin being reset, or has plotmaker subsituted your particular fill with another. i.e. has anybody played around with the attribute manager in archiCAD and 'overwritten' rather than 'appended' fill attributes to the archiCAD file at some point?

you could try re-importing the drawing into plotmaker from scratch (not just regenerating it) so that you are sure your plotmaker layout has the most up-to-date drawing attributes . . .

beyond this, i'm lost. i've never experienced anything like it myself. we have a simple ethernet LAN and share files from a central server. we have many layout books as we split the books down so that more than one person can be working drawing layouts at a time. we do have a lot of problems with BGarchiCAD, etc., but this has never been one of them!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Ben

Thank you for the interest and the reply.

We have two workstations - a dual 867 PMG4, and a 400 MHz Pismo PBG3 on a peer to peer network over airport; no server.

The problem manifests itself when a pln is transferred from the PB to the G4. For this sort of work we only use our own fills (eg tiling patterns, block coursing); some of these are altered copies of standard ones, some are homemade. I have not tried with a plp hosted on the G4 - but I'm not sure we want to convert all our projects to plp's anyway.

In Plotmaker the fill displays as it will print (ie wrong); it is not substituting another fill, just shifting the correct one - not an attribute manager problem therefore. We have tried reimporting from the pln, and publishing as pmk's, but get the same result.

The issue has clearly been known about, since GS has posted a workaround for Windows users, as someone previously posted here. Now that 8.1 has arrived at the weekend, maybe it has been fixed, so we will try again with that and keep you posted.

Thanks for your help.
__archiben
Booster
nigel

just a thought - are you using vectorial or bitmapped settings in plotmaker?

(Options->Display Options)

then right down at the bottom there is a drop-down menu: try setting the display and output to "Keep original settings"

~/archiben

(btw - is the issue on the graphisoft website the same as you are experiencing? it sounds more like your fills are adjusting themselves rather than getting lost or re-assigned from the database . . .)
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!