Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Problems with scene origin AC 11 exports to Artlantis

Files with the same overall geometry and position (phase 1 and 2 of the same project) are showing up as scenes with different coordinate position in Artantis, which makes open with reference useless unless you reposition the scene. I don't remember this happening before a couple of weeks ago, but it is now happening in different computers with different projects.

And we are not being able to reposition the scene --in some computers new Position X-Y values will be accepted but the scene doesn't move, and the old values will be restored after going to some other inspector and back; in some computers the new values are taken and stored, but the scene hasn't moved. This is happening with AC 11 US, different Mac Intel Machines, Artlantis versions 1.2.6, 2.0.0 and 2.0.3.

Is there any bug thing that 'locks' a scene in place (tried marquee, camera, etc.), either in the AC export process or in Artlantis itself? This is having rather catastrophic consequences now.
17 REPLIES 17
It is not only an Artlantis export problem, exactly the same offset error happens with 3DS exports. Last hope is saving back to 10 and exporting the rendering model from there.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Then I am afraid it has to do with how Archicad exports. Perhaps not an artlantis problem.

Sjaak
Fran_ois Chatelain
Contributor
Hi Ignacio,
just an idea, you might want to try to re-position the floating origin to its default location before exporting to Artlantis.

Cheers
Francois
François Chatelain
Worldwide Digital Imaging
Formerly posting as RanXerox
"A little bump will help blur your reflections"
We tried floating origin, marquee, camera, 3D view settings like wireframe etc. (all of which have always been irrelevant) to try to find if there is any setting that triggers the thing.

The position of the export geometry is consistent for each file in ArchiCAD regardless of any change in any of that. And it is inconsistent for the same geometry between two ArchiCAD 11 files, at least in the two projects where we are doing this type of exports for project phases models right now.
Karl Ottenstein
Just a quick thought on a possibility - no time to check it myself at the moment:

There has been a long-standing problem (we're talking years now) with Piranesi EPiX export coordinates also - such that one cannot export two camera positions and merge in common 'cutouts' as intended by Informatix (and as is possible with export from other software/formats).

In that bug (on Graphisoft's side), the coordinates are exported relative to where the virtual camera is for the perspective view being exported.

So...in your two files, Ignacio, I wonder if making sure that the perspective view is exactly in the same spot (copy/paste a camera from one file to the other) might help resolve your coordinate shift?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Yup, that was our first try also --we tried with exactly the same export cameras, and each file keeps the export geometry position it has always had, which don't match.
Djordje
Ace
Sjaak wrote:
Then I am afraid it has to do with how Archicad exports. Perhaps not an artlantis problem.
I'm afraid that Abvent is writing the export APIs ...

But, as the same happens with 3ds, something has to be happening inside ArchiCAD ?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Djordje wrote:
something has to be happening inside ArchiCAD ?
The who-knows-based-on-what scene position is definitely an ArchiCAD thing. And it is happening exporting from 10 also, I wonder how I never noticed it before --maybe all the ArchiCAD project phase files had been started off as Save As from the same original file before and therefore kept their scene origin, who knows.

The workaround I am using is to set up an export camera with an easy math position (like camera on x=100, y=0 and target on on ArchiCAD x=0, y=0) and use Camera Target for the scene origin translations math for each phase, before using file as reference.

Within Artlantis I am being able to translate the scene in 1.2.6 and not in 2.0.3. So the second workaround is export from ArchiCAD to 1.2, open in 1.2, translate and save, open in 2.0 and use reference.
Karl Ottenstein
There is a thread in the artlantis forums that seems related to this:

http://www.artlantis.com/index.php?page=support/forum/read&fid=atl_general_us&mes=11048

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB