Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Any SSD users out there?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been following the advancement of SSDs (Solid State Disks) for some time now. I'm not referring to conventional flash cards being used as storage (like in the EEE PC), but rather the 32GB+, 2.5" SSDs. I believe I am going to get one for my new AC12 workstation build. At present, I am seeing four groups of devices:

First generation MLC SSDs:
Great read speeds, decent write speeds, but HORRIBLE lag during random writes, resulting in system hangs and so forth. Multi-tasking during writes can be excrutiating. Very cheap, however.

First/second generation SLC SSDs:
Very fast, no hangups, but very expensive.

Second generation MLC SSDs:
Great read speeds, great write speeds, minimized system hangs during random rights. Decent cost per GB.

Intel-brand MLC SSDs:
In a class by itself. Very fast, no system hangs, not as expensive as SLC drives.

So who is running a SSD on their AC workstation? What brand/model is it? How does it work for you? Please be honest about system hangs/lag. 😉
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nobody? LOL

OK, I guess I'll try it out.
Dwight
Newcomer
You, first.
Dwight Atkinson
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Please keep us posted. I have wondered if SSD's will one day replace the spinning hard drive, once the prices come down enough.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Dwight
Newcomer
No-Moving-Parts is obviously the next big step. Two years, tops.
Dwight Atkinson
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I agree with Dwight. As I notice the storage capacity of SSDs is increasing much faster than that of HDDs. So in a couple of years SSDs will probably even have higher capacities than HDDs.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
What's interesting is that I had a dual 36GB Western Digital Raptor RAID-0 setup several years ago. The asking price for two 36GB Raptors? $520 total. This SSD drive is bigger and WIPES THE FLOOR with those for only a little more. Something to keep in mind.

There's no doubt in my mind that SSDs will be mainstream within 2 years. Once they get beyond this "crappy controller" fiasco, there will be very little standing in the way. Currently, THE SSD to own is the Intel X25-M:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167005

As you can see, however, the $600 price tag and lack of availability make it difficult to aquire. LOL, that SSD is more expensive than the entire quad-core workstation I just finished building! 80GB of storage isn't a lot either, but it's more than enough to load an OS + all of your apps. To receive the full benefit of SSD in your computer, you would also want your project files to be on an SSD as well.