Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Which version of windows works best

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have a Dell pentium 4 with 3.0 ghz of ram, and 1.25 G hard drive

Can anyone tell me which windows software will work best to run Archicad 12

1. Windows vista
2. Windows XP professional 2002
3. Windows XP home addition.

Thanks for your help

Ron
4 REPLIES 4
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Use XP Pro SP3. Your machine is too slow(I assume the 1.25g is referring to RAM, not hard-drive) to handle Vista, and XP-home is not supported by Graphisoft. Also, ArchiCAD 12 isn't going to run very well on your hardware anyway. that machine must be at least 4 years old right?
Of course, you can't buy XP anymore though. What OS do you have at the moment?
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Anonymous
Not applicable
The ram is 3.0 ghz fast?

The computer has XP home addition installed.
but we own the other noted OS's ...Vista and XP professional 2002

Which of these would work best?

Thanks, Ron
Anonymous
Not applicable
My mistake! The computer has 1.25 g of Ram

What amount of ram should we use to run Vista or XP Pro.
Which of these OS's would be best to use with Archicad 12

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the help.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a 4yr old Pentium4 3GHz laptop with 2GB of RAM and it runs Vista VERY well!

However, there is no benefit to using Vista unless you are using Vista 64-bit Edition. For your hardware setup, you should use XP Pro.

The most important hardware components for smooth Archicad operation are (in no particular order):

Processor speed: you have a very fast processor already, just not as fast as the newer hardware available. Multi-core processors or hyper-threading helps dramatically with AC12, but you will need to rebuild the whole platform to use the newer hardware available.

RAM: 2GB of memory should be your minimum target. Having 3GB would allow AC12 to use the most possible while also leaving enought for Windows and other programs to run.

Video card: there are many, many, MANY good graphics cards available, however I'm guessing that your computer still has AGP instead of the newer PCI-Express slot. Your options are limited in this regard.