BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Can I get round edges on slabs ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to make a handle for a fireplace that resembles the handle on my fireplace at home. I used the polyline tool and filled it with a slab favorite. I've posted the result as an image so you can see. The edges are sharp, but I would like them rounded. Are there a way to do this?
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can get the rounding you want by making a complex profile
and using it to follow a path that is shaped like your handle or
you could use Profiler to do the same thing.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been trying to make a complex profile to the wall element. I've called it oval. It has a cross section that is 10 mm high and 15mm wide.
I made a handle with the polyline tool in the floorplan. That also has a cross-section of almost the same size. Then I use the magic wand to apply the wall-settings with the profile to the handle. The handle is not filled but I create some long walls. I suppose I have misunderstood the advice I got. I post the project so you can take a look if you like.
Thanks in advance.
Dwight
Newcomer
Adjust your magic wand settings to "best match" and try again.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried to follow your advice, but the magic wand setting was set to best match already. But there are som settings that has to do with the length and the number of segments, as I understand it. I've tried to change it, but all I obtain is big circels around the "handle". When I try to select the circle, something in the handle is also selected. My "handle" is 110mm wide and 80mm high. The cross section is 15mm wide and 10mm high.
magicwandsettings.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anne,

Draw the centreline of the handle with the line tool on plan and magic wand that. It looks like you have drawn the outline.

The oval complex profile should be centred on the origin when you set it up for this to work correctly.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Also, the magic wand settings should be set to segments along circles
and 36 segments is OK.
Peter Devlin
Karl Ottenstein
I'm not sure how a complex profiled wall would be able to generate the tapered ends to the handle, shown in the zoom of your original screenshot here...

(part 1 of 2)...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
... but Cigraph's ArchiForma add-on lets you extrude any shape and then round the edges with the rounding panel (screenshot from PDF manual - not quite identical to the panel seen for rounding an extrusion).

ArchiForma lets you do most things that can be done with GDL primitives, such as this rounding. You might be interested in downloading the user manual to see:

http://www.cigraph.it/cigraph/pagetrans.do?action=current_product&prodotti_id=2&lang=en

http://www.cigraph.it/cigraph/pagetrans.do?lang=en&action=prodotti_demo&prodotti_id=2

And, maybe the demo version will work long enough just to create your handle. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dwight
Newcomer
There's a trick.

To get a complex profile extrusion to "taper" requires wrapping the section back on itself slightly by using a tiny radius.
084.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!