BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Standard Grid Marker

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the need to add a parameter for Text Rotation to the Standard Grid Element object. I placed a grid line on the plan and selected and opened it for editing the object script. I added the needed code and wanted to save this as a new marker type. I quickly discovered that you cannot even select another grid marker type anyway.

So I thought I would just overwrite this grid maker, but Save just prompts me to rename it. I can not even find the original marker in the library LCF and suspect it might be a hidden object somewhere. In any case, I just need to replace this object and con not figure out how using the normal process. The file when opened as a library part is named Standard Grid Marker. But a search on my hard drive won't find it. Even after extracting the AC12 Library LCF.

Any suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
The grid marker appears to be hard-coded into the application, so there's not much you can do.

Whenever you're not sure where an object might be coming from, use the Open by Subtype to browse for it. Then, you'll see if it is part of a library container, folder, or is embedded inside the application or an add-on. In this case, the grid object is embedded:

Macintosh HD:Applications:Graphisoft:ArchiCAD 12:Support:ArchiCADResources.framework:rfs:Structural Grid Object.gsm

It is interesting that in 3D perspective view, there is the option to have the text face the camera (kind of cool, actually), but that you cannot rotate text in 2D.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Karl wrote:
The grid marker appears to be hard-coded into the application, so there's not much you can do.
Yes, after the introduction of the Grid Tool in AC10, they took the ability to create and specify a customized Grid Element away in AC11. Supposedly, GS decided that the GDL code was too complex for us mere mortals to handle...
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry to dig up old threads, but...

Working in Archicad15 here and hoping that this issue has been addressed and I am just not seeing it...? Please help. My project is on an angle, but our documentation is squared to the page and I need the text within the grid markers to be straight relative to this rotated view. Any way to do this?

Thanks,
derek
Eduardo Rolon
The text within the grid will rotate automatically if you save the View with the orientation that you will use for printing.
If you rotate the view placed in the Layout it does not.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
and rotated.
Screen Shot 2012-01-18 at 8.32.04 AM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
The text within the grid will rotate automatically if you save the View with the orientation that you will use for printing.
If you rotate the view placed in the Layout it does not.
Thank you very much Eduardo.
Pertti Paasky
Expert
Hello experts. I happened to find one solution by change:

1) open the program of the standard grid marker
2) "save as" it by some other name
3) change the category of the object to something else
4) now You can place the object to the floor plan "normally"
5) change the category of the object back to the original one
6) copy the object to necessary positions.
...and now You can change the program if needeed.

This solution is not tested thoroughly and there can be bugs.
I recommend not to change the object´s library position.
You can only copy the object, not to place it.
- AC-24 FIN - WIN 10 - HP Zbook -
“A winner is just a loser who tried one more time.”
George M. Moore, Jr.
Learn and get certified!