BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

backsaving...a real convenience...

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi...
i would like to ask if there's any way i could save the file from AC12 to AC 10...?
i've done all of my drawings on AC10, when i installed the new version (AC12) it seems to be it becomes the defalut program for opening .pln files...and when i save the drawings on AC12, it does'nt open on AC10?...

i hope archicad has a backsaving mechanism...
6 REPLIES 6
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Michael:

You will need to Save As... the 12 file to 11, then the 11 file to 10 (ArchiCAD saves back only one version). Earlier versions can never open later version files, and earlier versions cannot use later version libraries.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
David wrote:
(ArchiCAD saves back only one version).
This wasn't always the case, though. AC9 saved back to 6.0, and all the versions in between. Guess that was back in the "good old days."
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
we need to be able to save backwards at least say to version 10 where plotmaker and archicad were merged to one window.

P. Omondi
Karl Ottenstein
The read/write options for each version of ArchiCAD are given here:
http://www.archicadwiki.com/ArchiCAD%20versions

There are several threads on this same topic already, including some wishes such as this one:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=25402

It is a big challenge (time=money) for GS to provide wide compatibility options. Personally, I would rather they continue to invest their efforts on bug fixing and new features. But, they might make older versions more easily available somewhere for download to assist in the conversion process - or provide them as a courtesy on the distribution DVD.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Karl,
Are you part of graphisoft team? how sure are you that it is a challenge to them providing a save facility to earlier versions?
They have always done it, i think they have just turned their head the other side to the fact that users have reasons for saving back to earlier versions.
Why cant Graphisoft post it as an add on.
Cheers all!!
Karl Ottenstein
Paul wrote:
Hi Karl,
Are you part of graphisoft team? how sure are you that it is a challenge to them providing a save facility to earlier versions?
They have always done it, i think they have just turned their head the other side to the fact that users have reasons for saving back to earlier versions.
Why cant Graphisoft post it as an add on.
Cheers all!!
No, I'm not part of Graphisoft nor compensated by them, but from time to time they make me feel part of their team...

They are not turning their heads on the problem; their solution just does not match what you think it should be.

It is challenging and costly. Each version of ArchiCAD has changes not only to the way information is stored in the project file, but also in the internal programming interfaces that access the model. The 'save' routine from an old version of AC cannot simply be lifted into a new version. It would be many person-hours of programming to incorporate this stuff - both to update the code for the new API, but also to add all of the code that deletes new features in the current version file.

Like any company, GS has to prioritize their efforts. GS does offer a method, but it requires that one have 'leapfrog' versions installed on one's system...for going in either direction in the conversion process.

Personally, I think they have their priorities right on this one.

Respectfully,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!