BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Modeling a Difficult Barrel Roof

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm some of you may be sick of me already, but again tried searching for past answers but not really found anything applicable (although I may be blind). I'm trying to model a complex barrel shape roof of a train station. I've included a plan (google earth) and some reference pictures.

If you have any ideas and possibly explain your answers as am new to the program i'd be grateful.

Thank you for your time,

Richard
13 REPLIES 13
If I were modeling that roof I would model the individual parts of the roof and use them to construct the model.

If you are only trying to make a preliminary model for graphic presentations or something, then there are several other ways you may want to make it for for some specific view or purpose.

What are you going to use the model for? Working drawings? Renderings... how you model it will depend on what you need to do with the model.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Dwight
Newcomer
Draw the section as a Complex Profile.
Extrude the profile along a spline or simply draw it as a wall.

And all words come from the Greek.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight - Thank you, I will try your method and post back the results. If you noticed on the plan the width of the barreled section also varys along it's path will your method produce the same effect?

Steve - I'm at university and have been set the task of block modeling a section of Liverpool City Centre. A fly through will be created from there, with various rendered images on a presentation boards.

Thank you everyone for your time and effort,
Rich
Sounds like fun. It would be great to fly in one end and out the other.

There is a similar train to what I have seen in Liverpool in the ArchiCAD transportation library if you need it. I hope you will share the flyby with us when its finished.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?tags=Liverpool

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Dwight
Newcomer
oops. To taper that to the LOD you need, moosh two 1/2 barrels together using a fake flat part to do the varying overlap
Dwight Atkinson
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
richgwilt wrote:
I'm some of you may be sick of me already, but again tried searching for past answers but not really found anything applicable (although I may be blind). I'm trying to model a complex barrel shape roof of a train station. I've included a plan (google earth) and some reference pictures.
Take a look at OBJECTiVE - an example image is attached. For more info take a look at http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
Can I just say this has been the most awkward task i've tried to do, and it's still not right The things I still cannot do are:

1. Create the cut away edge at the front right hand corner. If you look on the plan there is an angled edge along the front (left hand side).
2. Get the back (right hand on the plan) correct either.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get a more accurate model than the one I have managed to create?

Thanks for your time,
Rich
Dwight
Newcomer
USE SEO to slice the ends. SOLID ELEMENT OPERATIONS...

And if the shell actually tapers, use my overlapping moosh technique.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
USE SEO to slice the ends. SOLID ELEMENT OPERATIONS...

And if the shell actually tapers, use my overlapping moosh technique.
Don't forget that the SEO will not display correctly in plan, though. This might not be an issue for you in this case.
Learn and get certified!