Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

roof maker issues

Anonymous
Not applicable
Weirdness here. I am starting to have a lot of issues with 12, not quite as bad as 8.0 was, but a lot more issues, with every upgrade patch. Anyway when I use the roof maker to create the structure, the rafters don't line up with the bottom edge of the roof, all of them are trimmed to a point and don't meet the ridge beam it is just weird and when I look at it in 3d it gets stranger.

plan.jpg
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
here is the 3d for it
Rick Thompson
Expert
I don't know what is going on, but Roofmaker works fine for me in AC 12, with AC12 library, or AC 11 library. I have modified both libraries, but I think I am using the basic roofmaker parts in 12, except for a script I use to round the listing lengths up to the nearest 2' increment. I'll double check when I get to that computer, but I don't think it is AC12's fault, works for me anyway.

Are using the Wizard? Have you made a simple one plane roof and tried it? It almost looks like there are conflicting roofs going on, and the rafters are at a different pitch?
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
screwy! I have tried everything. I have even deleted my recent library. (since I have updated roofmaker doesn't work anymore.) and then smarty pants archicad tells me that my library is the most recent and that it won't install a new one. I really don't have time for all this. Is there anywhere I can download the latest library? This really stinks! Maybe I will try to do it in 11 and bring it into my 12 model, with the migration library. STUPID I have to do this. I don't have time to reinstall right now. It is a shame that I have to do that. Is this the only venue for graphisoft support now adays? I get the same response, "just reinstall." Great thanks guys! My disks are at my office and I am working from home today. GREAT!!!!! Roof maker worked fine a couple of weeks ago. Simple roof doesn't work either. Maybe I will go back to 11. It seems better to work on a version behind, less bugs.
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Shae,

I have to wonder if something is amiss in your installation ... related to or beyond what happened to your library in another thread. So, reinstallation seems the best bet. Be sure to save your Work Environment before reinstalling so that you can return to having things where they are now.

On the other hand, I kind of like the 3D result that you got. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Rick Thompson
Expert
Kind of like it is walking

Karl, we're being mean.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks guys. No not being mean I deserve it. Thanks for the help, I just got back from the office, had a bowl of chili, and am ready to do the install. Quick question, Should I do that silent uninstall thing, or just install over it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
now what.

I drove 30 miles round trip to pick up my cd. Uninstalled archicad, reinstalled it, then updated it, and nothing has changed. I have taken all the roofs and re-trimmed them to each other and still get the same old junk. Well everybody don't update your archicad library if you want roofmaker to work.
Karl Ottenstein
Shae and I talked offline.

There is a major bug in the 12 library that prevents Roof Maker from doing the right thing. Even a simple shed roof gets the wrong rafters (short hip rafters THiprafter2_1 12) among other things with the 12 library. With the 11 library, it's fine, using Rafter2_1 11 with the correct length, etc.

Clearly GS has a GUID problem between the add-on (I'm using the Roof Wizard) and the 12 library. I'll report it.

Shae worked around his problem by generating his structural elements with RoofMaker in 11 and pasting them into 12.

An easier workaround is this:

Temporarily remove the 12 library from Lib Manager and load the 11 library instead. Ignore all of the error messages.

Run RoofMaker (wizard or whatever).

Open Lib Mgr again and remove the 11 lib and put the 12 library back.

Glad for Shae that it's Friday... 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Rick Thompson
Expert
Mine is working fine, but I have not done a library update on 12. So, maybe the 1st Library is fine. My Library is quite a jumbled bunch of folders though, but the Roofmaker folder is from the AC12 install disk. Well, that's not true actually, I never got a disk or manual. It is from the download after beta testing. That one seems to be fine. I did open a file the other day and a roof framing showed up as missing objects, but that only happened once out of opening many older plns. I reran the Wizard and it work as expected. I think that was a fluke, at least I hope so. Perhaps the rafter object that was missing was very old in that particular pln. So far, all has gone fine with the original/updated AC12 install and the first 12 library. I wonder if it become broken with the library update, assuming there is one, I haven't looked?
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display