Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex Profile +"object(s)"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Although attachement is a rough hack of C.P. I think I have a rough (temp) solution to a chimney screen.
Made a C.P. grid (screen) you see below , then made a octagon of these screen walls on plan, since I could not figure out how to extrude a circle screen (which I really want) and not be blocked up in 3d.
Selected octagon of screen C.P. walls and made an object out of it.
Since cap is another C.P. had to place my new object.gsm in the empty space of the
C.P.cap.
I guess I could then capture the whole thing as one object, but thought it would be more adaptable
to next chimney cap as two indipendent things.

Also, my octagon of walls that emulate the circle can’t seem to be joined or they effectivly turn the
whole thing back to being blocked up. So if you look up close you can see they are not contiguous.

So hoping for a better way to do the screen circle.
A better way to do this, (besides writing gdl code), (beyond me at this point), would be welcomed, since I don’t have a circle of screen as I started out trying to do.
Any ideas welcomed.
Thanks
Bier
5 REPLIES 5
Dwight
Newcomer
Make almost the entire thing a complex profile:

include the base, the cap and the horizontal bars.

Turn these into a circular wall.

Then array some vertical rods around the perimeter of the horizontal bars.

All words come from the Greek.
095.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight, You've missed a complex profile trick!

Instead of arraying some vertical rods separately, make a circular array of fills in a complex profile - each representing a bar, and then apply it to a single column.

All words come from the Geek!
column_grid1.jpg
Dwight
Newcomer
Well done! Hoist with my own petard!

But the truth is i only claimed to be the King of Complex Profile Walls, so i defer to you for the inventive use of columns.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't forget, columns don't have to be round or square.

Curved curtainwall-esque shapes, anyone? (In AC11!) It will even accept doors and windows into the profiled wall if you want.

Dwight, I'll always bow to your superior knowledge of inventive usage! I had recently made some simple railings using the column and wall method, and this problem reminded me of it, thats all!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not as up to speed as you hot shots, but
arrayed column did the trick.
Now on the Peter's idea!-)
I'll get back to ya on that.
Bier

ps. Ohhh, I think I get it!!
I just did my first double CP combo for my duel horizontal pipe rails on the roof deck of this house. You Combined CP wall column reminds me of that.
Thanks Peter!
ps 2
Duel curvy chimney cap just might be the way to top of a house and grab a little extra neighbor attention in a nice neighborhood, especially out of copper. But the sheet metal guys gonna be able to retire on that one.
If I can figure that out, I'll post it.