Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Wall Profiles

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know of a way to create an editable siding/weatherboard profile on a wall that behaves in a similar fashion 'wall grooves' in the Australian Essential Library, IE the profile is cut into the wall itself and there are no added elements?
I understand Objects on Line have a 'siding maker' which looks pretty good but it appears somewhat limited in its ability to alter profile heights / depths etc.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can use the Complex Profile tool. The only serious limitation is that you will have to make a different profile for each height of wall.
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks Matthew,
I tried complex profiles initially and it was too cumbersome to manage with varying heights and window placements. My main motive is to find a way too achieve a better photo-image with the wall modelled rather than using shaders or textures - they jsutr aren't as convincing as a modelled profile
Dwight
Newcomer
You are right that nothing renders like a relief surface.... and the complex profile is it!!!!

When you have a wall with varying heights and consistent linear elements like siding, you make a master profile and then copy it and slice the top or bottom off as needed, keeping the origin the same throughout the variations.

This simplifies the job.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Dwight,

I haven't tried that approach but it sounds logical (even to me). I guess even using CP's on foreground walls only, with shaders on more distant elements will add enough detail and relief to make the rendering more convincing.
Dwight
Newcomer
Make the background wall texture map from an elevation view of the new complex profile foreground wall. In shade.
Dwight Atkinson