BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Remember AC7 Viewpoint GraphiSketch Renderer?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you remember the AC7's Viewpoint GraphiSketch Renderer?

It was a marvelous sketch renderer with a real artistic touch! I used it a lot for presentations and front pages of my projects. I would gladly trade the whole AC12's Sketch Renderer for it!

I want it back! Do you?
8 REPLIES 8
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Kliment, PhotoRender Settings using the Pen & Ink sketch render from 12.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Rod Jurich
Contributor
And the settings. Let me have your opinion.
Pen&Ink settings.jpg
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
kliment wrote:
Do you remember the AC7's Viewpoint GraphiSketch Renderer?
Oh yeah. Now I remember them. A bit too cartoony for my taste, and not the best clean up as I recall. I think that software was by ThinkFish and was bought up or otherwise vanished from the scene.

Perhaps you could get close with the sketch renderer and then apply a filter or two in Photoshop. Of course it might be quicker and better to do a sketch render by hand overlay.
Dwight
Newcomer
We often overlook the simplest and fastest way to make a sketch from Archicad, if you can stomach Photoshop. This is just a crude example of the approach - a small investment of time will let you make a personal sketch style with accuracy and speed.

Three steps from a 3D Window screenshot:

Desaturate - lose those ugly colors.
Find Edges - outlines
Texturize - puts a canvas texture under the image

Why i recommend this approach:

1: It is a five second process: no rendering at all, since we are shooting the screen.
2: The steps can be varied for personal preference AND SAVED as Photoshop Actions [macros] so you never lose the settings.

Sure, there's an investment of time, but it is way less than messing about with the no-preview sketch settings....
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think I got a bit misunderstood! My idea is not to make a sketch presentation - such presentations are not popular in my country and Europe. If I make a linear presentation I use the Internal 3D Engine, which is perfect and I don't have to leave AC!

I want an artistic presentation for the front page of a project documentation or a web-site. The hand-drawn approach is the best but it is really time consuming - print, draw scan, manipulate....

Dwight, I am familiar with the Photoshop tricks but they give you exactly a sketch mock-up. No artistic touch, unless I draw it myself.

Rob, this is a fine example of sketch, made by an Architect! At the university we called it "Architectural Drawing". But, I want something completely different - artistic drawing, where lines are not the same thickness, where lines sometimes do not touch or parts of the drawing are obscured.
And, Rob, this is a very nice house! I like it a lot!

Do not forget - we had this engine inside AC, there was no need for another application!

Below is an aexample, made by a colleague with whom I worked together on a hotel extension. He didn't know Photoshop. I showed him this engine and this is what he did in a few minutes:
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I remember this engine. It was a cool option I admit. One could probably get close to something like this with specific settings. "Close"....not "exactly" though. I vote to throw it back in with AC13. It would be interesting to see this over a lightworks rendering.
Karl Ottenstein
Kliment,

I agree that restoring that old engine, or perhaps improving the Sketch engine would be very helpful.

I tried to reproduce your style sketch by modifying Sketch engine settings - but the line overshoot made windows and railings a mess of linework. Very ugly.

So, I exported my test model as 3DS and imported it into Google Sketchup (free version). While I was missing some of the control of the Sketch Engine, the Google style options provide what is missing in ArchiCAD: more intelligence when lines are close together (as in window trim and deck railings), a level of detail slider, and more. The result was still not ideal (lots of extra edges are created during the 3ds export) - but it felt more natural than what ArchiCAD achieves.

I think that if GS made Sketch more aware of edge distances from each other in order to scale down the line weight and extension for, e.g., window frames, provided a 'level of detail' slider as in Sketchup (and Artlantis navigator for that matter), and allowed the 'air' setting to be more dramatic, it would be a good step forward.

Or, providing GraphiSketch might be a good step backward. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
I agree that restoring that old engine, or perhaps improving the Sketch engine would be very helpful.
I believe the old engine was licensed and is no longer available. Improvements to the present sketch renderer would be very welcome.
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!