BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

PolygonOperations

Pertti Paasky
Expert
There is a macro object called "PolygonOperations.gsm" in the objectlibrary 12. What objects call this macro? Is it possible to capture Archicad Complex Profiles to be used in gdl objects?
For example a tube could use different profiles created by Complex Profiles.
- AC-24 FIN - WIN 10 - HP Zbook -
“A winner is just a loser who tried one more time.”
George M. Moore, Jr.
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think PolygonOperations.gsm has something to do with converting polygon based objects from the floorplan to GDL poly objects.

It is possible to capture complex profile objects simply by saving them as a GDL object. You can either select it on the floorplan then 'file' > 'libraries and objects' > 'save selection as', or simply drag from the floorplan into the 3d script of an pre opened library part.

Bear in mind this converts it into an 'sprism_{2}' so you lose any ability to use the profile manager to edit and choose between different profiles. The code is also horrendously complicated when you start using chained lengths of geometry. I don't know enough about GDL to say whether it can be simplified manually or not!
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is some info on "PolygonOperations" macro in Basic Library Documentation

Still interested? For example, in AC11, "CavityClosure" macro (doors and windows), used several macro calls to "PolygonOperations", but no more in AC12.
So go figure. If you are not afraid by complexity ... good luck.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Olivier, I'm not entirely sure my description was completely right then, but looking at that technical information, who knows?!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter, your description is right, and as you say, who knows. 🙂

All this stuff is sooo complex, I'm not sure any architect can understand. For myself, I don't.

GDL is a nice but limited language, we all know. Paradoxically it turns into an incredible complexity level.
Previous bugs are half corrected, and each new release adds new ones. This would deserve another thread.

I tend to use old but simple GDL. Not so bad. At least it works from 8.1 to 12
From my stats, a lot of people are stil on old versions. Backward compatibility is important.
Yes we can.
Pertti Paasky
Expert
A window in a polygon wall can read the wall contour polygon (ac_wallcontourpolygon) parametes array. It´s used in drawing the window opening in 2d.
George M. Moore, Jr.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Pertti wrote:
A window in a polygon wall can read the wall contour polygon (ac_wallcontourpolygon) parametes array. It´s used in drawing the window opening in 2d.
Pertti,

Could you explain a bit more, please?
I'm not sure to understand clearly what you try to achieve.
Pertti Paasky
Expert
Oliver, I´m trying to create a tube object, which can change and modify it´s profile. The route is defined by moving hotspots. The object can build lists, roads , fences or walls.

It would be useful to have a storage of profiles you can choose between to create the tube. Of course it´s fun to compare between different profiles, which one gives the most suitable result. Interactive playing with forms is the thing.

Moreover, the route is a problem. How to make an array of points where you can add or remove points like you can do with archicad polygon tool...
George M. Moore, Jr.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Pertti wrote:
How to make an array of points where you can add or remove points like you can do with archicad polygon tool...
Pertti, take a look at the freeFormWindow on the depository. It is mabe by your compatriot Petri Leskinen.
The contour is defined by an array in which you can add new hotspots. You could adapt this for the tube path.
I have some examples of tube (array) in the library below. Insertion of new points is manual, but you can improve this, following Petri's example.

For cross section, you can start with a list of values for different profiles.

About your first question, I don't find examples in 12 Library, using "PolygonOperations" macro. Just this one, very similar, in case you need an example.
Looking at "terrace_CavityClosure" macro, it calls a "terrace_PolygonOperations" macro, which looks the same as "PolygonOperations".
I am not sure if this add-on can work with something else than doors/windows. If anyone has some info on this, I would be interested.
Pertti wrote:
Moreover, the route is a problem. How to make an array of points where you can add or remove points like you can do with archicad polygon tool...
the "Array" is the key word - rather ArrayS would be even better here -
the trick is in pouring one array to another such way that adding or removing point is found out in the right position, anyway the pet palette is not possible (hopefully word "yet" could be added to the last sentence).

Best Regards,
Piotr
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!