Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Artlantis Lawn Objects

Dwight
Newcomer
Archicad users frustrated with the indoor/outdoor carpet-like qualities of LightWorks lawn might enjoy the free ArchiRadar grass objects in their Artlantis models.

Even though the individual objects are small, it is quick enough to array an entire lawn with a variety of trimmed and wild grasses.

archiradar grass.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Two question:
When do you place the lawn in your model, in archicad as a gdl object or in artlantis as an artlantis object?
Inside Artlantis, is there any way to quickly distribute the lawn object over an entire area (surface)? I mean not manualy one by one.

Thank you
Dwight
Newcomer
In Artlantis.

Place one. Place another one. Place another one. Gather them up, Drag Copies. Gather them all, drag copies, Gather them all, drag copies. This doubles then number each time. It is not so bad. They multiply like bunnies would. Even faster.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, you are right it's not so bad, it doesn´t take that long.
Great lawn objects, by the way.
Anonymous
Not applicable
You should also rotate some of them, otherwise you get those pesky repetitions, as when you use not so good images on a texture.
Dwight
Newcomer
Also, perhaps, in rows? Like the trail from a Lawn Mower?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not really:
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah, and another thing. If you change the color of some of them, slightly, it will help you to get away from the carpet look.
capa.jpg
Dwight
Newcomer
Miguel:

How much of a render time increase factor would that grass cause compared to a flat texture?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can´t be precise, because I did those images with Artlantis R Beta, some 3 years ago.

As far as i remember, the house took half an hour or so (instead of 2 or 3 minutes), and the RIP CAD crashed because one of those trees didn't like radiosity (or the other way around).

On a wild guess, maybe 10 times more, with radiosity.

Bottom line, for the kind of work I do (quick and dirty, or at least dirty and dirty) it was too much trouble to insert the grass and render it, but for high end images, my guess is it is well worth the time you don´t have to spend photoshopping it later.