BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How do I keep groups within a group?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a switch I am missing to allow ArchiCAD to keep subgroups within groups? Since AC9, whenever I group multiple groups (say to select and move them all at once) then ungroup the overall group all of the subgroups are ungrouped as well leaving one mess of ungrouped objects. What am I doing wrong here?
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
Make sure that the group function is active (not suspended) when you ungroup. This behavior is similar to copy/paste which retains group identity only when the group function is on.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Matthew. I should have made that connection.
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
OMG! 20 years at this and I still know nothing!

Thanks Matthew!
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
JaredBanks
Mentor
Matthew Lohden,

where can we build a statue of you to proclaim our thanks? I can't believe I never even accidentally discovered this. I even just told a new user at my firm that this couldn't be done! If I could only remember who...

And for clarification, groups need to be enabled when you make the super group as well. Otherwise the other groups will be lost. Seems obvious now, but I figure it's worth adding to this great tip.

Thanks!
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've previously expressed a wish that, when copying grouped objects, Archicad would display a message that says:

"You are about to copy a group, but grouping is suspended. Are you sure you really want to do this?"

Keith
Archicad ver 12 on Mac OSX 10.4.8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Keith, it sounds like Microsoft: "Are you sure you want to do this?" No, thanks! 😉
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
A useful tip is to keep grouping ACTIVE at all times -- suspending groups should be considered a temporary setting, and one should get in the habit of enabling groups once the need for suspended groups is no longer necessary.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
JaredBanks
Mentor
Good point. What's your take with new users and always having groups enabled? I feel like I too often have new users accidentally deleting an entire group when they only mean to delete one thing (say a wall) in a group. Often because they are zoomed in and can't see the rest of the group or because other pieces of the group don't show in the particular view/elevation/section. And of course being new at the program they tend not to notice this until it's too late to undo. If groups are always suspended unless they're needed, this would (i imagine) help minimize this issue.

Thoughts?
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Karl Ottenstein
JaredBanks wrote:
Good point. What's your take with new users and always having groups enabled? I feel like I too often have new users accidentally deleting an entire group when they only mean to delete one thing (say a wall) in a group. Often because they are zoomed in and can't see the rest of the group or because other pieces of the group don't show in the particular view/elevation/section.
Whether deleting or editing, IMHO one should always look at the Info Box to see how many elements are selected. This avoids the problem you mention.

I agree with Laura ... and this is also why I recommend that users learn the shortcut alt/opt-G [at least that's mine] for toggling the suspend group status. (Ctrl/cmd-G for group, ctrl/cmd-shift-G for ungroup is handy too.)

Then, it is easy to select a group, then quickly suspend groups (alt-g) so that the group can be edited, particularly using the pet palette for using polygon edits on a group of walls, or perhaps for marquee stretching, and then enable groups again (alt-g).

Cheers,
Karl
InfoBox.png
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!