BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Open Type Fonts Shift

Anonymous
Not applicable
Our open type fonts are shifting up in the text box.

We use .otf or Open Type Fonts from Adobe such as Graphite Standard. We work in ArchiCad 9 & 10. In both applications, when we upgraded from OSX 10.4 to 10.5 the fonts shift in their text blocks (in files made in OSX 10.4 and then opened in 10.5) and do not relate to the leader lines etc. It only happens with .otf fonts and all other fonts are stable. The problem is more pronounced if the "Leading" is set to less than 100% in the text selection settings.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem and does it occur in AC versions 11 or 12?
22 REPLIES 22
Karl Ottenstein
Were the files created on a PPC Mac? This article may be relevant:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Bugs/Fonts%20change%20between%20PPC%20and%20Intel%20Macs

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Eduardo Rolon
This is happening in AC12 US 2325 Mac. The file was started in AC11 PPC and now it is in 12 intel.
Futura.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
and with an OpenType font.

It happens with Zones, Grids, Text, Markers and Titles not with Dims.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
and if you add the frame to the text you get…
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
A New and Reset almost fixes (the text is not on top of the frame) it but it does not help me with my previous files or the Template.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
But if you merge a file that has the problem you get the font shift again. Only with OpenType fonts.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's possible this is a PPC vs Intel mac issue. I have to do more research. I can confirm however, that the fonts did not shift on an Intel machine running OSX 10.4. When that same machine was upgraded to 10.5 the otf fonts now shift.

I will upgrade a PPC machine from 10.4 to 10.5 to see if the same shift occurs.

I did confirm that the shift also occurs in Archicad 12. Both Apple and Adobe techs say the problem is with Archicad.
Eduardo Rolon
To add to the list. Door and Window markers do not Shift and it does not occur with all OpenType Fonts. For example, Avenir Next shifts but Proxima Nova does not.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Karl Ottenstein
I just submitted a report linked to this thread, in case GS wasn't aware of this issue.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!