BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimension editing

Arcadia
Booster
I have been using Archicad for a few months and one of the things I find a little frustrating is dimensioning. While it is ver easy to add a dimension point into an existing dimension line by control clicking, I haven't been able to find a way to delete a dimension point from a line of dimensions or move a point even. You have to delete the line and start from scratch. This seems to be a bad oversight on Graphisofts part unless I am missing something?
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
12 REPLIES 12
Karl Ottenstein
Yes, you are missing something. Just mouse down on the dimension point that you want to delete. (You mouse down at the point on the chain.) It highlights the element that is dimensioned. When you let go, the point is selected. Press the delete key.

The online help is your friend. See attached - just searched for 'delete dimension' - and there it is...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Arcadia
Booster
Thanks Karl. I'll try the search feature next time. If everyone used the seach feature then there wouldn't be many new posts though
Anonymous
Not applicable
Arcadia wrote:
Thanks Karl. I'll try the search feature next time. If everyone used the seach feature then there wouldn't be many new posts though
Don't think you have to worry about that.
Dwight
Newcomer
Wrathchild wrote:
Arcadia wrote:
Don't think you have to worry about that.
Right on, deud!

Since the biggest problem in learning new technology is the terminology - most users have problems that defy our special Archicad definitions. For instance, in the rest of the world, they call it [cryptically] a "Boolean," but we call it a Solid Element Operation. How do you find that out without a forum???
Dwight Atkinson
Djordje
Ace
Dwight wrote:
How do you find that out without a forum???
Doing the training and reading the manual?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Dwight
Newcomer
It is attitudes like yours what cause unrest.

Sure, do the training and read the manual and have a photographic memory for all details, no matter how insignificant at the time. The problem isn't study - it is memory!

Making effective a d u l t learning is tricky because meaning must be attached to each learned fact, since grown-ups aren't voracious knowledge sponges like children are.

So you think that when a guy has a problem and can't remember the correct term, he should start to randomly read the support material when a simple query on a forum can send him to a solution? Yikes!

Lost is lost.
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
Relax, Dwight. This guy did not have a problem with terminology. He even used the words "delete" and "dimension" in his post. He simply did not search for them.

Even in the case of our unique SEOp term, which you brought up... if someone searches for 'boolean' here, they will find the correct term in a slew of posts.

The answers are almost always at someone's fingertips, to be resolved faster by a search than a post. Not that we should not welcome posts...

Of course, better searches (other than online Help) are via vistasp's Google search page:

http://archicadstuff.blogspot.com/

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dwight
Newcomer
Okay. Calm now.
I just feel that so many respondents unfairly chide the poster for not searching when he's asked an obscure question that can't be answered by searching.....
Dwight Atkinson
Arcadia
Booster
This thread is a good example of why forums like this operate. Sure I could have searched a bit harder but i wasn't in any rush (I'm using my old 2D software for a few days anyway for a particular client). But my question got me an answer and started a conversation as well. Thats the whole point of a forum. Sometimes you start a thread with one simple question then in the course of the thread other things come up which are relevant that you may not have thought of. Its all part of feeling like you are part of a wider community of Archicad users. As they say - there is no such thing as a stupid question.
Learn and get certified!