Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Add Wall fills to reflect Green thinking

In the building regs in the UK, there are a series of step changes in the regulations between now and 2016 requiring more and more insulation. This is trailing behind Germany, Austria, Switzerland where the insulation standards have been higher for longer, and the PassivHaus standard is the target for the future. I would venture to say that cavity filling is now preferable and more common than the designs in ArchiCAD's standard composites for cavity walls which seem to be a thin layer of insulation with a cavity.
I know that its easy enough to make new composites, and that pro users will build Templates with their choice of Fills... but shouldnt some of the new standards be included in the standard Archicad as it starts up?

For example, I want to build in loadbearing wall, the same as in my house, 112 brick, 100 cavity filling insulation, and 100 block (plastered). I am happy to spend a few mins building this, but i hope its standard in AC 13.
13 REPLIES 13
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am sure if enough information is provided the guys at GS are interested in hearing what new requirements are emerging and how these should be reflected in standard ArchiCAD templates/libraries and attribute sets.

If anyone has any such similar thing I think this is a good thread to collect them. So guys, go ahead and post them if you have any.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
KenMcN
Contributor
Any chance the 'insulation' fill could be changed to look more like the standard 'wavy' pattern, rather than the hexagonal 'styrofoam' or the linear 'insulation' (which looks like brick to me)?
Would make the walls much more legible, especially when details are taken from plans or sections. There is a library object that does this, not sure how difficult it would be to make this into a fill.

Sorry if this isn't quite the sort of information you were looking for…

Perhaps more relevant is a wish for timber stud walls, with (the correct) insulation between the studs (either partial or full fill). The skin should be capable of being used for either a stand alone timber stud internal wall or as part of a composite external wall (with brick etc. cladding). Varying thickness and number of layers of plasterboard to one or both sides would also be helpful.

Oh, and the number of skins needs to increase, as timber composite walls can have lots of layers and the limit of 8 is insufficient for some we are using just now.

Cheers
Kenny
V25 & 26 (fully patched); Mac Ventura, MacBook Pro M1 Max
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
KenMcN wrote:
Any chance the 'insulation' fill could be changed to look more like the standard 'wavy' pattern, rather than the hexagonal 'styrofoam' or the linear 'insulation' (which looks like brick to me)?
Would make the walls much more legible, especially when details are taken from plans or sections.
It would be helpful if symbol line types could be used within composites as wished for here.
KenMcN wrote:
Oh, and the number of skins needs to increase, as timber composite walls can have lots of layers and the limit of 8 is insufficient for some we are using just now,
I agree with this as well.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
If we're straying into wish lists for walls then one we have is that you can create a wall based upon brick/block dims. AND have it visible and accurate when you drop a section through the wall.

Sorry if this is OT.

Adri
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
adri wrote:
If we're straying into wish lists for walls then one we have is that you can create a wall based upon brick/block dims. AND have it visible and accurate when you drop a section through the wall.
Just to clarify -- are you wishing that masonry coursing be delineated within Composites?
Anonymous
Not applicable
adri wrote:
Does a complex profile not work for you in this situation?

Start a wall using a composite to get the various skins with the correct pens and fills on plan, and then capture it as a profile. Add the coursing lines where necessary by splitting the fills and adding mortar in-between and Bobs your uncle!
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Peter wrote:
Does a complex profile not work for you in this situation?

Start a wall using a composite to get the various skins with the correct pens and fills on plan, and then capture it as a profile. Add the coursing lines where necessary by splitting the fills and adding mortar in-between and Bobs your uncle!
I imagine this could quite a "load" for AC to handle (i.e. the number of polygons required to model).

On another note, it would be nice to be able to control the 2D symbol (or plan view) of complex profiles.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura wrote:
I imagine this could quite a "load" for AC to handle (i.e. the number of polygons required to model).

On another note, it would be nice to be able to control the 2D symbol (or plan view) of complex profiles.
(Sorry for taking this off topic. Please move if necessary.)

If you model it with the mortar joints flush with the surface of the brick using the same material, it doesn't actually add any extra polygons to the model! Of course you can add the correct shaped recess to the larger scale details in 2d as necessary, but you wont see this at 1:50!

I also agree with the need for extra control for the 2d symbol. I'd in fact like to be able to specify a specific cut height to use as the symbolic cut of a complex profile. This would give you the extra flexibility you get with a normal wall set to symbolic cut when dealing with walls of differing levels.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Peter wrote:
If you model it with the mortar joints flush with the surface of the brick using the same material, it doesn't actually add any extra polygons to the model! Of course you can add the correct shaped recess to the larger scale details in 2d as necessary, but you wont see this at 1:50!
When Complex Profiles was a new feature, I remember having problems with profiles containing numerous nodes -- when editing the profile, nodes were often "left over" from where fills once met, creating a number of extra nodes on what would be a planer surface -- I assumed that "extra nodes" meant "extra polygons", which is why it was causing problems (model slow-down, walls not joining correctly) -- I eliminated any extra nodes, and eliminated the problems.

Have you had any problems modeling brick walls in this manner?