BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Floorplan Cut Plane issue

Arcadia
Booster
I am working on a split level residence with 3 different levels (ie levels not over one another but following the contours of a site). I haven't been able to adjust the cut plane so that it shows the walls as cut on all three levels. If I adjust it upwards far enough that the third level is shown then the bottom level is not cut and vise versa. I know I can set the levels up on different story's to overcome this but with split levels I prefer to have them all shown on one floor plan and one story as the wall and roof constructions are a lot more interconnected to each other than they are on a true second story. Is there any work around for this?
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
There has been several threads on this in the past.
The best workaround in my opinion (as mentioned in those threads) is to save Views with the different Floor Plan Cut Plans and place them as Drawings on the same Layout, and limiting the boundary of each Drawing to their respective area, thereby combining 3 Views into 1 Drawing on the Layout.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Arcadia
Booster
Thanks. I can see how this would work but it sounds like a bit of a hassle. Something Graphisoft needs to work on maybe?
The other option is keep all walls displaying 'symbolic'. Worked very well for decades, screen generates faster. If you have slanted walls or other funky stuff and you absolutely need projected display then Laszlo's wokaround is actually not at all that much of a hassle --probably faster than typing this post and you do it once in the project's lifetime.
Arcadia
Booster
I notice though that the walls don't clean up for the level that is not shown in the cut-plan and when you drop windows in they are not visible unless you change the cut plane again. So although it will show correctly in the layout its is the working environment that is the hassle as you need to keep changing the cut-plane as you are working on different parts of the job and can't see everything at once.

What do you mean by symbolic walls?
Arcadia
Booster
Aaah! I've just worked out this symbolic cut option. That fixes everything and no need to use different cut-plane views. Cheers.
Learn and get certified!