Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Updating templates

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to put a template in a file on the network so that every time it is updated the files linked to it update as well. Is this possible?
13 REPLIES 13
Erika Epstein
Booster
You might want to look at how batch files are created and mainained. Check the Wiki for your archicad version
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Maybe my explanation here will help you.

Not too sure what you mean by 'linked to it', as there is not a link from one file to another as such, but you can set up a company template file from which all new projects can be started.

I think you will need to set everyone's Work Environment to access the tpl from the same path.

Cheers,
Link.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
lpbolden wrote:
I want to put a template in a file on the network so that every time it is updated the files linked to it update as well. Is this possible?
If I understand correctly you say that if you create for example a new attribute in the Template File then the attribute will also appear in all Project Files that were started based on that Template File.
That is not possible. There is really no link between the Template File and any Project File based on it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
If I understand correctly you say that if you create for example a new attribute in the Template File then the attribute will also appear in all Project Files that were started based on that Template File.
That is not possible. There is really no link between the Template File and any Project File based on it.
Can't we use hotlinked modules in Templates? It's not about attributes, of course, but it can be a kind of back link from created project files to their parent.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Leo wrote:
Can't we use hotlinked modules in Templates? It's not about attributes, of course, but it can be a kind of back link from created project files to their parent.
Interesting idea. Many of us have multiple office standard modules. I hadn't thought to use one to update a file to more recent template improvements.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Leo wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
I checked and it is possible to save a file as TPL and it will retain the Hotlinked Modules. So yes, it is possible that you have hotlinked modules pre-placed in a Template File. Interesting idea indeed.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that the idea of linked files can give even more for template's layouts. We can place PDFs, raster images, standard drawings on master layouts and layouts as linked files. When we modify linked document, all created projects will be changed. But I don't know, is it so good to change all projects at once? . Sometimes is, sometimes isn't...
And we have to link any file with a teamwork template using it's network name, of course.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, these are all valid point.
The only question now is what lpbolden meant by "files linked to it".
We have long used hotlinked modules in our templates for standard details, symbol legends, etc. If the module changes, the users get a notice to update. But any changes they may have made to those details would be safe, because in order to modify the data you need to break the link. So the 'administrator' is only pushing onto unmodified standard stuff.

Nothing to do with attributes, unfortunately. I'd like to be able to push those, and favorites too.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info