BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

random crash when using Ctrl+Various

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi All,

i'm having some random crashes when using the Ctrl key. sometimes it happens if i 'Ctrl+Tab' between windows, other times i might be 'Ctrl+Shift+R' rebuilding the 3D window, other times i might be 'Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V' (i.e. simple cut & paste) on a different storey. there are others too and they all happen when i use the Ctrl key.

at first i thought that it was the use of an earlier Library (AC10) that was the problem, but now i have a clean file and the crashes are still happening.

when i press Ctrl, the icon changes to a pair or scissors and i'm wondering if a) this has anything to do with it and b) if so, can i remove this default behaviour.

in all cases, AC12 either freezes or, more often than not, just closes with no warning.

any ideas for a cure?
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
update:

i thought it was linked to the Ctrl key but but unfortunately it's a lot more random now...

most crashes occur in the 3d window. any kind of editing in the 3d window and i'm worried that AC will crash.

on the advice offered in other posts i have tried the internal 3d engine but no improvement.

the 'as in photo rendering' in the 3d window prefs is off and the 'single color' is on.

have also tried removing all preference settings as suggested in the Archicad Wiki.

still crashes...
Barry Kelly
Derek wrote:
update:

i thought it was linked to the Ctrl key but but unfortunately it's a lot more random now...

most crashes occur in the 3d window. any kind of editing in the 3d window and i'm worried that AC will crash.

on the advice offered in other posts i have tried the internal 3d engine but no improvement.

the 'as in photo rendering' in the 3d window prefs is off and the 'single color' is on.

have also tried removing all preference settings as suggested in the Archicad Wiki.

still crashes...
I have only had the occational "crash" where the bug reporter comes up.
But I am getting lock ups where Archicad just stops responding.
It happens on different machines and for no particular reason.
I could be editing a library part, copy & pasting, dimensioning, or any number of things.
I haven't been able to pin it down to a particular action.
Restart Archicad and the same action usually works just fine.
Seems a little temperamental to me.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Bob Moore
Enthusiast
I have been having the same random crashes or lock ups. Haven't lost anything and restarting GS is no problem. It seem to be happening at least one a week.
AC 7 - 27

iMac 27"

Mac OS Sonoma 14.0

3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB
Erika Epstein
Booster
do any of you have the trace reference active when this is happening?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Barry Kelly
Erika wrote:
Quite possibly, but I do try to turn it off when not needed as I know it can (or did in version 11) stop the Info box from showing the correct infomation.

I'll keep a closer eye on it.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Erika Epstein
Booster
There have been problems such as you describe in 11 when the scales of the view and trace view were different.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
my trace is off. however, i've noticed something strange (probably just a coincidence).

i have a scene i have just started. it's a small project (2 semis) and so far i only have the ground floor external walls into which i have inserted the front door and a front window.

now the strange bit: if i'm in the 3d window and i change a measurement to do with the window (width, height, height from wall base etc) and i'm zoomed in close to the window (less than about 5m away) then AC crashes. if i'm not so close (so i can see the whole house in the 3d window) then things are ok.

can anyone confirm this?
Anonymous
Not applicable
ok, i can confirm what i said above:

start a clean project using default template and workspace.

create a rectangular set of walls (in my case 5m x 5m x 2.5m high x 300mm thick)

insert a window (any window)

now edit the window. it doesn't matter if i edit in the 2d window or the 3d window. if i'm zoomed in pretty close then as soon as the project rebuilds, AC crashes. if i'm zoomed out enough (haven't found the point of no return but usually 'zoom extents' is fine) then all is ok.
Barry Kelly
Derek wrote:
ok, i can confirm what i said above:

start a clean project using default template and workspace.

create a rectangular set of walls (in my case 5m x 5m x 2.5m high x 300mm thick)

insert a window (any window)

now edit the window. it doesn't matter if i edit in the 2d window or the 3d window. if i'm zoomed in pretty close then as soon as the project rebuilds, AC crashes. if i'm zoomed out enough (haven't found the point of no return but usually 'zoom extents' is fine) then all is ok.
I can't confirm this no matter how close I zoom.
But have a look at the list of crashes and freezes that the latest hotfix is supposed to address.

85343 CRASH: In 3D window on Windows Vista with Intel on-board video cards
79669 CRASH: When creating new property set in IFC 2X3 Options dialog (intermittent)
85834 CRASH: When closing object settings dialog (intermittent)
85865 CRASH: When opening 3D window after background image has changed
86272 CRASH: When opening file, caused by ArchiCAD API bug
80436 CRASH: When opening file, if drawings were previously deleted from layouts
86538 CRASH: When opening section from Navigator (intermittent)
86313 CRASH: When splitting wall (intermittent)
86220 CRASH: When updating hotlinks in some special hotlink scenarios
86669 FREEZE: When hovering the cursor over a spline on floorplan if Trace Reference is on displaying the same spline
85522 FREEZE: When opening ArchiCAD 11 or older project with Hotlinks, if file has large text blocks
87719 FREEZE: When publishing layouts to DWG format with XREF option if published layout contains drawings with "unavailable" status

Wouldn't it be nice if we could have seen this list before so we could check if those were the problems were are having?

Still downloading the hotfix so I can't say yet if things are better.
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!