Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Uninstallation freezes at "Unregistering ArchiCAD 11"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not an installation issue, but close enough?

I recently installed ArchiCAD 12 so I'm trying to uninstall ArchiCAD 11, but the process seems to freeze at "Unregistering ArchiCAD 11" and it's been like that for about four hours now. I've tried restarting my computer and running the uninstallation again but the same thing happens.
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
Amaranth wrote:
Not an installation issue, but close enough?

I recently installed ArchiCAD 12 so I'm trying to uninstall ArchiCAD 11, but the process seems to freeze at "Unregistering ArchiCAD 11" and it's been like that for about four hours now. I've tried restarting my computer and running the uninstallation again but the same thing happens.
I can't really help you with this but there is no need to unistall the old versions.
You may actually find it beneficial to keep the older versions.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh, would you mind telling me how it's beneficial? I don't like leaving programs on my computer that I don't use since it's a waste of space so I'm just wondering. Thanks!
Barry Kelly
Amaranth wrote:
Oh, would you mind telling me how it's beneficial? I don't like leaving programs on my computer that I don't use since it's a waste of space so I'm just wondering. Thanks!
Some have had trouble when converting an old version file int 12.
It is easier sometimes to just keep working on it in 10 or 11.
Espescially with library parts.
There have been quite a few posts here about files that haven't converted properly.
I haven't had any trouble myself yet - touch wood!
I'm sure some can chime in with horror stories.

Also as time passes and you have been working in Archicad for 4 or 5 versions you may find that the latest version will not open your old files.
We have that problem now - V12 will not open anything before V7 or V8 - can't remember which.
Of corse by then you will probably have a new computer and probably will not have installed the old versions anyway.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Amaranth wrote:
Oh, would you mind telling me how it's beneficial?
If you have some projects, which you started in ArchiCAD 11, it is a good idea to save a backup version of the projects and their libraries before you move to a next version. If you find some version-related problems, you'll have a chance to move back or partly use the old version as a good workaround.

In addition to that, I usually recommend my users to use the same library through all project-life cycle, if it's possible. So, if you start your project in AC 11 and move to AC 12, it'll be better to continue using AC 11 library. According to my experience, it was a good practice with old AC versions. But may be experts correct me at this point.

Finally, ArchiCAD installation doesn't waste a lot of HD space in comparison to size of modern HDs. And it doesn't affect performance of your system, really.

Cheers,
Leo
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Amaranth:

For a fuller discussion of the reasons to keep old versions, see this thread:

AC must be able to open all files since v4.5!

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah, thanks very much for the information, I guess I'll be holding onto AC11 then