Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

About dimensioning

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there any way to get numbers associated with one dimension line ALL in one level?

Explanation:

When (let's say) dimensioning some object and get over a thin wall, dimension's text runs above the initial align line, where all other text is. Other case is that texts shifts to one of sides of wall or any other small enough space.

How can this be fixed? If possible at all...

glup8.gif
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
leziljebovic wrote:
Is there any way to get numbers associated with one dimension line ALL in one level?

Explanation:

When (let's say) dimensioning some object and get over a thin wall, dimension's text runs above the initial align line, where all other text is. Other case is that texts shifts to one of sides of wall or any other small enough space.

How can this be fixed? If possible at all...

archicad is not inteligance, archicad is stupid like stone and program dont have AI to see or to know what look good for us, so AC cares that your numbers dont overlap and that u can see logicly all dimesion text.
This formula is part of archicad dimensions calculation that GS team write in ac program code !

u can otherwise use your brain and solve this problem with right scale
1:50 u can dim. complitly wall, not components of the wall
but u can dim. that wall as detail in 1:10 and your dimensions will look ok
and that detail u put as part of your project
With this solution your problem is solved but not as u wish to be

or u can manualy move numbers and loose your time

u will have to live with this one - . - (for now)

Ciao

Anonymous
Not applicable
dim
Anonymous
Not applicable
dim
Djordje
Ace
In general, the dimension text is moved to the side if it cannot fit between the dimension markers.

This is usually the case when you overdimension at a certain scale. It is not to be expected to dimension wall layers at 1:200, right? Therefore, you should have a dimensioning layer for each of the main scales (1:50, 1:100, 1:200) and place the apporopriate dimensions on those. Separate layer(s) for the details and the scales larger than 1:50 (1:20, 1:25, 1:10 ...)

How do you show this? Layer combos, of course!

Some manual adjustion is usually required, especially on crowded plans at scales that are not for detailing. As we are still some centuries away from the digital communication of the model to the site, we have to think about the printout.

Oh yes ... scaling the text with the model only causes a lot of cursing at the site. Try reading 1mm high dim text in driving rain or blazing sunshine ... not good!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
vistasp
Advisor
Djordje wrote:
Try reading 1mm high dim text in driving rain or blazing sunshine ... not good!
I don't think I'd be able to read 1mm high text even under ideal conditions! 😉

But seriously, what's the smallest font that people use for dimensions? 2mm? (that's <6 pt). Would be interesting to know. I usually work with 2.5mm (~7pt).
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks to all. I'll try all of this and adopt what is best suitable.
Djordje
Ace
vistasp wrote:
Djordje wrote:

But seriously, what's the smallest font that people use for dimensions? 2mm? (that's <6 pt). Would be interesting to know. I usually work with 2.5mm (~7pt).
2 is the smallest readable under all conditions; I also prefer 2.5
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Djordje wrote:
vistasp wrote:
Djordje wrote:

2 is the smallest readable under all conditions; I also prefer 2.5
We had 1.8 mm text sizes in CDs, but the constructor was complaining about it, so it became 2- 2.5 mm.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27